260 Montesa Machinations

schmorgas

“You made that look easy!” observer section 5 & “the Cota is a better bike than a Repsol” – that from the mouth of a trials legend!

Add those two comments together and I think it is fair to say that my first trial/shake down of my new 2014 Montesa Cota 260 could not have gone better had I scripted it myself. It started badly though. I only had it out for a brief one and a half hour practice the week before and you could never say that we understood each other yet. Yes we enjoyed each others company but it was after all our first date. After that life got in the way. We had not really seen each other until round 4 of the Autowbars series at Lady Lane, Bingley, apart that is from a 5 minute potter around outside the house the day before, doing a few figure of eights on tarmac and I have to say that it felt pretty alien.

So on trial day, I wasn’t feeling confident at all. I decided to use the event as an extended shake down test. With this in mind I opted to regress, some might say, to the beginners route from the 50 /50. A ride twixt white and yellow for pleasure and learning. A proper date complete with obstacles. What will she drink? Could I handle her and will she bite . . .?! Well like any creature of beauty she drew a few stares and any chap likes that I think you’ll agree.

So after a brief warm up and a couple of club members blagging a ride (she’s a tart!) I got in line for section 1. As readers of these ramblings may know, the Autowbars series for beginners has really nailed it this year. The nintendoes and x-boxes have been put away and both father and son have hit the sections be it on the 80cc small wheel Betas, Osets or Mecatecno’s. And as I stood in the queue for section 1, the forty plus years age difference struck home!

So rather than join the queue behind a sea of happy kids watched by a multiple world champion father and champion grandfather no less, I moved onto section 2. Bad form I know but it was more a shake down than a race face, brave pill mission to clean up!

Slack dab straight away! “Too much bike and not enough talent” I said to the observer, embarrassed. But on I went out of sequence chatting to Bradford Club stalwarts enjoying the relaxed ride and the attention she got until it dawned on me just how much fun I was having! The more I rode it, the more I liked it. Things I did on the Beta seemed ungainly and clumsy. I tried the same on the Montesa and I floated!!

So even though she bit me on my first meeting I think of it now more as a love bite.

Keep ya feet up!

Peter

• Like 5