2012 Sherco St290

footballshmootball

Hi all,

Just picked up a 2012 Sherco ST290, it's only done 2 trials and some practice and is in pretty good condition.

I took it home and rode it in the garden for about 20 mins then stopped and checked the bike over.

Firstly I've found there is an oil leak from between the clutch casing and the inner casing, on the bottom. Everything looks straight and no cracks so I assume it can only be the gasket which is getting changed tomorrow and will hopefully solve that problem.

Secondly I think there could be a very small water leak which looks like its coming from the gasket between the 2 main casings just under the exhaust port.

Has anyone had either of these problems? I'm sure the bike hasn't been ridden hard so seems weird to have gasket problems like this. Wouldn't expect to have to rebuild a 2012 bike thats don't 2 trials and been ridden by a woman the rest of the time!

Thanks

I thinki have read on here somewhere about issues with the rubber between the bash plate and cases getting pushed up and moving the case causing the oil leak you are experiencing, the solution I believe is to trim the rubber to releive the pressure. Do a search often forums for a complete explanation

Not sure about your water leak...

but about the oil leak, it's probably your skidplate taking hits that eventually caused the inner clutch casing to bend and oil started to drip at the joint of the 2 casings, as you've noticed.

You can disassemble and unbend both parts. Trimming the rubber as suggested will prevent this to happen again soon.

Both the skidplate and inner clutch casing were "upgraded" in 2013. They're basically the same parts but "thicker", more robust and less prone to cause this problem again. If you decide to order make sure you specify 2013 and up, as the part numbers are the same (!) and you don't want to get 2012 parts as replacement.

You can check this thread for more details, pictures, etc.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/43879-2012-st290-leaking-gear-oil/

Hugo

Edited by hugo
  • Like 1

UPDATE:

Ok so I'm pretty sure i've sorted out both the oil and water leak.

Oil leak: Replaced the clutch casing gasket (not the o-ring) and the leak seems to be fixed. I went for the more expensive metal gasket rather than the paper one.

Water leak: After we fixed the oil leak we started the bike and sure enough there was definitely a water leak coming from between the crank casings just under the exhaust port.

Turn out the casing bolts were loose so had to remove the stator amongst other things to tighten back up and seems to have cured it. Thank the lord and fingers crossed as I was ****ting my pants with that one!

Whilst doing this work to the bike I noticed that the previous owner has removed the diaphragm fuel pump. Has anyone ever ridden a bike with this removed? It seems to be running fine but not sure if it will affect it when its low on fuel.

Thanks for replies.