248 Chain Tubes

dr nosh

Can anybody please explain how the chain plastic/rubber tubes fit at the front end. I can see how they fit over the rear wheel sprocket using the alloy T bracket, but at the front the top run just rests on the swinging arm, and the lower run just rests on the frame. Is there supposed to be some bracket ?

I have not fitted the chain yet, but even with that fitted, it looks like they will just rest on the chain.

Any clues?

Hi there,

You are right about the front end of the chain tubes being supported on the chain when it is fitted. There is only the "T" shaped bracket.

The "T" shaped bracket can wear out where it pivots on the rear wheel spacer.

If you have a chain tensioner fitted with the pad just behind the gearbox sprocket the front end of the chain tube should be clear of the pad.

Replacement tubes we have bought lately fit both top and bottom runs of the chain, the bottom tube has to be shortened if a chain tensioner is used. Saw the excess off with a junior hacksaw.

• Like 1

Thanks tayld.

Confirms my thoughts.

The T bracket is new, so will watch out for eventual wear.

I do have a new chain tensioner but not fitted as yet. Going to do this at the weekend...I hope.....time permitting.

Found the chain tensioner. Brand new, from a dealer....universal.Fitted......but way out of line with the chain. Main part of the spindle replaces bottom M10 engine bolt. Will need to remake this longer. The arm pivots on a M6 screw in the end of the main spindle. But the pressed in bush in the arm is i/d M10.

How is that ever going to work reliability! Will make a bush to match an M6 stud for the arm to move on. Can be cleaned/lubricated regularly.

Trying to do some more this weekend.