Bultaco 340 Restoration

tbone

Hello all

I am new to the forum and joined to get information on restoring my 340.

I was thinking about the exhaust and have seen photo's of commerfords/vesty bikes and the puma bikes. If I was going to the bother of fabing up a new front tube would you go for stainless and would you change the route of the pipe.?

cheers.

tbone

What are you hoping to achieve?

Stainless steel is a lot of work so I would not even try. Copying these bodged up exhausts will not transform the bike it will still be a 70's Bultaco twinshock. Is it worth the effort? My advice keep standard but do make sure the exhaust is cleaned out and packed correctly.

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock

tbone

What are you hoping to achieve?

Stainless steel is a lot of work so I would not even try. Copying these bodged up exhausts will not transform the bike it will still be a 70's Bultaco twinshock. Is it worth the effort? My advice keep standard but do make sure the exhaust is cleaned out and packed correctly.

Stuart

Hello twin shock

What I am trying to achieve is a first class restoration of a bike that I have not used for a lot of years. I like the restoration part of it as much as the riding of it. I love the old Bults and want to refurb the bike to keep and use, not to win trials but I want it to run as well. It needs a ground up rebuild and just want to plod through the work as I get time.

:agreed: ive just had my exhaust repacked if the bike is set up proper you dont need to do anything else.aprt from ride it.

Hello bondy

I have seen photo's of 340's on this site of bult's with new looking pipe work and one of them seemed to be bare metal, that's why I asked about stainless. From past retorations I no that I will spend more than the bike is worth but if I have fun doing it and enjoy owning it so be it.

At this point I will say that I have seen some real nice Bult's on this site so others must think it's worth doing.

• Like 1

hello tbone i see what you mean it is nice. but each to there own i like bultaco to be bultacos there are ways to make them run better with out changing the appearance of them. but dont take my word for it am just voicing my opinion. if thats what you want to do go for it and enjoy doing it cheers bondy.

hello tbone i see what you mean it is nice. but each to there own i like bultaco to be bultacos there are ways to make them run better with out changing the appearance of them. but dont take my word for it am just voicing my opinion. if thats what you want to do go for it and enjoy doing it cheers bondy.

Thanks for the advice bondy.

I have seen a restored standard looking bult with a new front pipe in bare metal of some sort. I like the shape of the standard pipe, it just says (I am a bultaco) to me but thought I would ask the question about the route to see why it went the other way ? Do you no which bike I am talking about ?.

yes i know witch bike you mean. i think its just routed that way to make more clearance not sure about the power. 1 off my 199Bs has had quit a few mods done to it but all the work was done by the last owner still looks prity standard. the head stock as been moved in give a much tighter turn. and the swing Arm as been made longer and moved foward. the rear brake hub is on the R/H side. and the head steady has been made stronger also the gear drum pluger has been cut down to allow the swing Arm to move forward. but shes in bits at the moment ready for a engine rebuild.

Edited by bondy