Bultaco 340 Restoration

tbone

yes i know witch bike you mean. i think its just routed that way to make more clearance not sure about the power. 1 off my 199Bs has had quit a few mods done to it but all the work was done by the last owner still looks prity standard. the head stock as been moved in give a much tighter turn. and the swing Arm as been made longer and moved foward. the rear brake hub is on the R/H side. and the head steady has been made stronger also the gear drum pluger has been cut down to allow the swing Arm to move forward. but shes in bits at the moment ready for a engine rebuild.

Interesting, are you doing the motor yourself ? . I will have to give my motor a good overhaul and clean it all up, it's caked in hand painted black heat paint about several coats and the chips were never blended in just more pain over the top (not by me ). I got the bike about 25 years ago and just put it to one side as I had some 250's and a 325 and was using a fantic 240 pro so the dirty example of a 340 got pushed to the back of the garage never to see the light of day until now.

to be honest with you i can rebuild the mortors. the only thing i get stuck with is the crank its got to be centered i have a rough idea how to do it. but as like with my 198A engine i let a friend do the bottom end for me who knows how to. i just do the rest myself ive got a new piston and ive had the barrel rebored its on its first over size. i carefully tie wraped the gear box before taking it out paying careful attention where the spacers go. i have new con rod kit new bearings and seals ready. if your engine is caked in layers off paint your better off having it vapor blasted i had my 198A engin done gives a nice smooth finish.you can paint it or leave it as is i just painted my barrel the cylinder head and bottom end is alloy.

yes it is a nice job. i have the frame with the loop on its silver but needs powder coat am restoring it as a 198 red and silver like i say its beter to have a clean start before you start painting. ill be having some stuff chromed. so should look nice when its finished ive done a few now.

I have had the frame powder coated with some parts that a friend was getting done but could not lay my hands on the swing arm but have found it now. I should have got it done at the same time but like to clean things up first to get the best results. Was thinking of doing the arm and side stand silver but not sure. Another thought was to spray paint them so I can re touch the as they get marked ?.

i would powder coat them its alot harder to damage the paint if your powder coating the S/Arm make sure you put the new bushes in after not before. and block off both ends. i did wet paint my 198A to keep the cost down but wish id have had the powder coated now but still looks good. if it was me id keep it white but each to there own. if you intend using the bike powder coat is the best paint to use i can get frame and S/Arm done for around £85

When you go to the powder coaters I find it's best to take all the bits and bob you can for good value. If I just take the arm it will cost to much. I have some black frames that need doing but don't like the idea of a black arm. Yes I have stripped the bushes out and will

bobbin off the bush areas with timber and bolts.

yes thats a good idea to take all the stuff to be powder coated cheaper. also the wood in the bush Area is a good idea safe alot off cleaning later. i see you like the 198 red bultaco i will be rebuildind 1 myself some time i have a good frame S/Arm ready for silver powder coat will buy red tank and gurds this 1 will be road legal i have the V5 in my name i will have it on a day time MOT and just use it in the summer months.

I had a ty270r on a day time mot but that was before they started getting hot on road use with comp tyres ?. I have a new pair of miches for the bult it would be a shame not to use them.

Just an up date and my next question. I have cleaned up the swing arm and coated it with rust cure to hold it's condition until it is blasted and powder coated. I will do the arm white because I no that's the way it should be. Next question is bearing codes for the motor but firstly I would like to fit a tapered head set ? anybody got any codes cos I want to keep the cost down as there is a lot to do on this bike. I seem to remember that the early models were to small to take tapered sets, hope that is not the case for the 340 ?

i had the tapered bearings for my 340 but dont like them they do fit but they dont sit flush with the head stock. so i bought the original races and loodse bearings the other week. they fit perfect. also the price was only a fiver more. you can get all your engine bearings from inmotion the 3 main bearings are C3s i can give you all the codes if you want but no need if your buying them from inmotion just tell them what you need they know witch bearings you will need.you done the correct colour for the S/Arm.