Ideal Distance For A Sammy Miller Championship Event?

pete_scorpa3

I am starting to plan our round of the Sammy Miller Classic Bike Championship and wondered if any riders had a view on how far the trial should ideally travel on the road.

We can visit groups of sections used in the National Colmore Cup or even sections used in the 75 mile OK Supreme LDT, or anything in between.

What distance is likely to attract the most classic entrants?

Pete

Hi , I am always of the opinion that we ride what we are given and always bear in mind the considerable work that clubs put in to stage these events and feel it quite wrong to say what should be or otherwise, however in the past what you have laid on seems ideal and I suppose around 20 miles around suits all ? ,the road work is part of these events and gives a traditional feel. Visiting famous sections of old is always a bonus too. regards and see you soon.

• Like 2

the poachers NBBR is about 20 mile round and is the most popular round the west riding is about 40 mile round and gets a lot fewer riders...

personally if its nice countryside views quiet roads then 40 is ok but 20 is better

always surpised that british road trails are rarely laps of a shorter course. on the continent two three or even 4 laps of a say 5 mile course are common. the lake district sammy millar round was two laps of about 20 miles but that was tooo long and entries fell even though it had some of the best views ever in later years.

Hi Pete,last years trial was ok.The older bikes struggle with distance because having to lower the gearing and only having

4gears.the twin shocks just come whizzing by on the roads because of this.Its one of the reasons why the british bike entries

have dropped of in the last few years.It can really knock your bike about,i manage a speed of 25 mph on the speedo !!and nurse the bike around .

It will have two routes (standard and easy/sidecar)and start at Downs Farm near Bourton-on-the-Hill.

I went out on Sunday and can get it down to about 15 miles and visiting one lap of 30 sections at eight different groups. That is the shortest I can do.

How does that sound? Or is that too short?

At the moment I can make the trial any distance between 15 and 75 miles.

Pete

Probably 15 - 20 is ideal. Not too far for the slower bikes and gives the field a chance to spread out a bit and reduce the chances of queues

If that reduces options for the number of groups, if I was plotting it, I'd just ensure the better groups like Weston Wood and others with the big climbs and cambers etc. are in. The last group last year was a bit too tight and nadgery with a lot of leaning on trees and a bit of stop/hop in evidence.

Getting some gas on up those slippery climbs, roots and rocks like Weston Wood is where it's at. There've been some good sections in there the last couple of years - oh yes, and as much mud as you can find...

• Like 1

I've recently done the Golden Valley March Hare which is around 40 miles,which was plenty on a rigid which does about 25mph on the road.Had the weather been better,ie not peeing down so hard you had a job to see,it would have been great(It was great anyway).For me the countryside and views are a big part of the trial,the March Hare is brilliant in this respect.

On a twinshock like my TY which would be faster and more comfy I could have gone miles more,I guess knowing your likely entry,riders ages and type of bikes would help to decide how far to go.

Good luck with it,I know how much work it is to do it properly.

• Like 1

I have always though putting in excessive road work for the sake of it is unnecessary, however if you want to ride the best sections then it might be.

Its a compromise, in Spain the ride round is always fantastic and well worth it, France they are going for short courses, and you spend more time driving to the trial than riding it. Its a choice , but if you want a PRE 65 Extra special with no seat, legs bent double and no speed then perhaps ten laps of four sections is more for you... However becareful what you wish for..

• Like 3

Hi Guy's.

Hi Guy’s,

What a stunning day out, the Stratford club gave us. A tour around the beautiful Cotswold Countryside passing through lanes that I had not been along since the sixties, but most of them still jogged memories of that time (on one narrow lane I remember Ron Doug, Dan and myself, practising our sidecar racing skills, using all of the lane and sometimes the banks as well, it is only a miracle that we all came out of the lane without injury). The route took us past all the old favourite sections used and even a couple of pubs, and the lunch break gave us a chance to catch up with a few old friends, eventually arriving at Camp, where it seemed as if we were in a time warp. Same old faces of works riders from sixties same old banter and comradeship, same sounds from the bikes, and the strong smell of Castrol “R”.

Then the greatest pleasure of walking up one of my all time favourite sections, Camp, with memories from the past flooding back, as we reached our vantage point, the sound of Ron’s Ariel crack up, sent shivers down my spine. The anticipation grew as the crescendo of rev’s got louder at the bottom of the hill, and the site of the plot coming around the dog leg being ridden at the same old pace and with the same old skill, as the lad had when he was younger was astounding, the determination on his face said it all, as it did with all of the boys that rode up the hill that day, A superb ride from Gordon Jackson on a machine he had only sat on short time before his ride was amazing. Thank you Stars of the past, and thank you to all the hard work the boys of the Stratford club put in.

Wright’y can we have it again next year? All of us old boys would love it, and we won’t be here in another 100 years.

Hi Pete, is there any chance of getting to use "Camp" for the trial???? Please.

Regards Charlie. www.bsaotter.com

• Like 3

Hi Guy's

Hi Pete.

Is that a Yes then?

This is just the sort of section to stir the hearts of those competing, and also show some of the general public how good Classic trials really are.

This section . is actually more famous than the more difficult?? Pipeline. And stirs, has I say the same sort of reaction.

Just to say I have ridden up Camp is one of the memories to pass onto the next generation of Classic trials riders.

All those in favour say AYH

Regards Charlie.www.bsaotter.com

Hi, to take Woodys point about hill climbs , that would be great as they always featured in events of the past but for some reason unknown ,rarely feature these days ( at least in the Sw centre and the nationals that I ride). I have always wondered why?. Dont know about lots of mud Dave !!! lots of rocky streams better , in the midlands I hear you say. As I said earlier always been great event so will look forward to it.

Hi Guy's.

Pete, Turbo said hill climbs?

Well I remember realy good uphill sections at Fish Hilll,

Not a blast but realy steep tricky upside down sections with an outfit.

And proper up and around trees for solos. And these sections seemed to missed for years??

Regards Charlie. ....www.bsaotter.com