Road Legal Stuff

no balance

Hello, I have a Wasp RT3 with a unit 500 Triumph engine in and would like to put a day light MOT on it. Has anyone used the mountain bike type speedo and horn with any success, if yes, what make are they. I have looked at a few on line but they seem to cheap to be any good !! but I would prefer a wire less one .

I will have to fit a small battery for the stop light, so plan to used a led bulb to cut down on power drain (the electronic ignition has no charging provision), I could also connect the horn to it, so it only leaves the speedo to sort out.

Regards, NB

Woody is spot on, except, if the horn was fitted from standard then it can be a bulb type, so to avoid any embarrassment get a Halfords 9v cycle horn, loud, cheap and passes the test.

No lights, reflectors, speedo etc required.

Remember, if it has knobblies , it won't go on the brake roller, so may have to be a rolling brake test on the road.

If your trailering it there, take a helmet with you as the tester may want you in the chair to test.......

Hi NB, the cycle speedo's are cheep because like most electronic gear they've come down in price...they also sell a lot so can keep the price down. Can't recommened any particular brand, but sure someone will soon.

Edited by bashplate

I've used the Halfords own brand speedo on a converted MX bike.......make sure when fitting you take into account the profile of the tyre, not rely on the rim size and use a good quality glue when gluing on the magnet.

It worked very well for the time I had the bike and better still, didn't get a ticket from the speed camera vans.!

Thank you for the recommendations/advice, OTF is correct and after speaking to the Mot tester yesterday I will be taking his advice, which is to have the following:-

Speedo, any type.

Horn, any type, bikes after 73 (I think) have to have a continuous sound.

Brake light.

Number plate, it should be full size but that just would't be practical ( would it officer !!)

I plan to make all of the following items as quick detachable as possible.

Edited by no balance
  • Like 1