Do It Yourself Importing

dan williams

With the loss of my favorite dealer (Commo) I'm finding it easier, and for the most part cheaper (if I buy enough stuff to cover shipping) to just order on-line from Europe. Anybody else finding this to be the case. I'm all for supporting the local dealer but find it hard to justify when all they do is make a phone call to the same distributer who drop ships it to me.

Edited by dan williams

I myself have not delt with the new guy. From everybody I talk to he is very good. I had a good relationship with Ron. I could get a hold of him and get things done. The internet sure has changed how parts flow. I started selling my old stock on Ebay and am surprised how much has gone to Europe.

With the loss of my favorite dealer (Commo) I'm finding it easier, and for the most part cheaper (if I buy enough stuff to cover shipping) to just order on-line from Europe. Anybody else finding this to be the case. I'm all for supporting the local dealer but find it hard to justify when all they do is make a phone call to the same distributer who drop ships it to me.

If you don't use your locals, they will not be around for you when you need them. Yes there will be times when uncommon stuff may need to be called in and drop shipped to you.

I am not saying I have never found bits from the other side of the pond, but normal stuff is all available here, and I doubt any are getting rich off it.

For my OLD bikes , I tend to locate and obtain my parts myself , But the common bits I get from our stateside partners in the mud ... And yeah I've got enough 240 pro hardware stocked up to build another complete bike with spares leftover , I tend to buy alot of hard parts just 'cause they are getting harder to find in decent shape , And I've got a collection of different ign. systems set aside too... Some of the stuff is slowly turning into unobtainium ...

Someday I may buy a new trials bike , and at that point I would have to become buddy's with the importer I guess !

But if it wasn't for the internet , I'd only have brand new bikes , as I couldn't search the world for parts at my leisure ...

Glenn

I keep hearing that and I once believed it but the expert help isn't expert anymore and nothing is stocked so what is the value added?

I agree here. I am OK with paying more to a local person in appreciation for being there. I don't have dealer in my area that carries anything specific to trials though. So I would even try to order from someone within the country, but then I was paying more, waiting for them to order it from Europe anyway, and then paying to ship it to me. It would take minimun two weeks. I have found I can get parts within 5 days from the UK.

I don't blame them for not having it in stock. They can't possibly stock all the specialty parts, the market just isn't big enough here.

Edited by hiside

There's a critcal mass necessary to support any sales infrastructure. The term is SAM serviceable available market. Good explanation on Wikipedia, as always. Unfortunately as trials shrinks the SAM drops below the point where it can support large numbers of dealers carrying inventory. This is a problem as the way trials is structured most dealers have a group of riders that form around the dealer. The dealers become a nexus for local clubs. This is why the megadealer undercutting prices is detrimental to the overall health of the sport. Poaching a few deals here and there is no problem but drive the small dealers out of business and the SAM shrinks as local groups dissolve. Eventually the megadealer fails and you hope the market can reset and go back to a distributed market and resume growth but if SAM has dropped too low that may not happen.

Edited by dan williams

Dan:

I am not an expert on who is now the dealer for your area. I do know one thing though. After the Vermont National last year, my son and I met Ron Sr. and Lana for a late night dinner! These people are salt of the earth, and I'm proud to have called them friends since the early 80s. It was so great to catch up for sure! Ron and his family have meant alot to the sport in the Us over the years, and as much as it hurts, it was the factory who made a business decision.

All the dealings that we have had with Tim and his team have been positive, and I would recommend them to anyone! I do believe in supporting people in your own country thats for sure.

Dan:

I am not an expert on who is now the dealer for your area. I do know one thing though. After the Vermont National last year, my son and I met Ron Sr. and Lana for a late night dinner! These people are salt of the earth, and I'm proud to have called them friends since the early 80s. It was so great to catch up for sure! Ron and his family have meant alot to the sport in the Us over the years, and as much as it hurts, it was the factory who made a business decision.

All the dealings that we have had with Tim and his team have been positive, and I would recommend them to anyone! I do believe in supporting people in your own country thats for sure.

I feel some "Commo Sr" stories coming down the pike

Isn't this the same thing (even Commo) all dealers do on a regular basis? How can they possibly stock everything? Edited by kramit

Yes unfortunately it's become the new morm. Even before Commo was the importer he always had a large stock of parts. He also was race support at the nationals. The new leaner model of business isn't just trials. Go into a local bike shop and ask about anything off road and you're likely to get a blank stare.

Edited by dan williams
  • Like 1