Ossa Tr280I Fi How It Works

alecmorris

I'm new to this forum , just bought a 2012 Ossa tr280i , not really happy with the engine feel in bottom end and it keeps on flooding. So I'm trying to understand how the FI system works , I understand FI but I don't get how the Ossa does its calculations , my MAP sensor is In the outside air not the manifold , so is the amount of fuel dependent on the throttle position? (With some tweaks for engine temp etc) so the map sensor is only monitoring the barometric pressure ?

Exactly the MAP should read the manifold pressure but it's not connected to the manifold (that space between the throttle butterfly and the engine) it's a barometric pressure only sensor on the ossa) MAP sensors can do both vacuum and pressure above atmospheric . They are traditionally used for barometric pressure reading before startup(takes a measurement before engine starts ) but this is not possible with the ossa without a battery.

I think certainly get the new map and get the TPS set. Doing anything before that seems a bit pointless.

Certainly no running issues on my 2014, but it does like a little hotter plug for around here in the cold and wet.

I priced the factory software/cables- they are quite expensive. I would buy them if resonably priced- even though I have had no use to adjust anything yet (about 60 hours)

Where are you located?

I'm in Bridgend South Wales CF32,

I'm going to have a go at making my own cable,

£700 for a cable is twice the price of the ecu itself

I work as an electronic engineer , the only problem will be if the cable is encrypted to the software and ecu somehow

What is a hotter plug?

Edited by alecmorris

Sorry, sparking plug.

I found the stock one ran a bit cold here when doing lots of idling/low speed.

I recall the software/cable a lot less than that, but I'll have to find the quote I got. I do know it was way more than I want to spend on a bike still under warranty!

Either getting or writing the software would be rather a challenge I think- but such things have been done before.

I have a Lotus Elan that I use an application that an enthusiast wrote for the software- but really just reads what is sent. And I'll bet the info was easier to get.

Heck, I still can't even get a wiring schematic!

But certainly keep us posted on how you do.

Mark

I work as an electronic engineer , the only problem will be if the cable is encrypted to the software and ecu somehow

This cable is what you need for the Ossa.

connec10.jpg

It's from a friend of my who had an Ossa. Making a copy of the cable is not the biggest problem.

The problem is how do you get the communication unit??

Great info thanks

It's all depends what's in the communication box

The ossa service manual shows a "signal level convertor" as the communication box

If that's all it is then it's a simple device converting some signal (I.e 5v rs232 or 3.3v rs232) into the RS232 for computer

This hardware I have I'm my drawer .

I have been doing some tests already with Kscan software from Gas Gas website . No luck so far

But if I could get the Kscan for Ossa software then there is a good chance it will work

Can you help ?

The owner of that cable will have the right software to go with it

If I succeed in my mission I will post all the info

Then we will all have the means to check our bikes with a £20-£30 cable

I would like to see ossa release a version of the software and cables that is restricted but affordable so that owners can tinker a little, idle etc. without overdoing it and breaking the engine.

I would imagine that the warranty would be voided if adjustments were made with homemade cables.

Hi Alec, if you cannot get it the Kscan software or a copy of the OSSA software, I suggest calling Nigel and see if he will be attending a competition in your area. He might be able to bring his laptop and cable and get you all sorted. I had my 2012 ECU remapped and TPS set and all problems were solved. Yours should not be flooding at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have known Nigel for near on 40 years and bought bikes and bits off him but until Ossa supply EFI diagnostics gear at the price of a cheap auto code reader and a £10 CD for mapping I would not even consider buying one. Call me tight if you like buts that's the way me and quite a few others think.

Quite a few of my friends have had expensive enough trouble with electronic ignition failure and a move to a bike containing the "black art" of EFI is just a step too far.

I am fairly competent with auto EFI diagnostics but I have little inclination for anything that is effectively "sealed off"

I know of no electronic or EFI failures with the Ossa. The biggest problem seems to be self inflicted. That is to say owners tend to try manually adjust the idle and in doing so confuses the TPS settings.