240 Road Insurance

dmc2028372

Morning all

I'm at the point where I've satisfied hmrc with the nova form, all clear there. I've now sent off the v55/5, the daytime mot, the photo card driving license copy, and the registration and road tax fee off to dvla. Do they check for road insurance on the bike before issuing the tax disc and if so what against?

On the basis that I hope to ride some Sammy Miller rounds and you can buy RTA insurance on the day for £9 do I need to buy yearly insurance?

cover your bike via msm thats fuly comp and leagl for trials for just over the ton for the year..

the trials insurance will not stand up as sole insurance so you need minimum third party annually plus the tax disc

yes they will need the bike to be insured before issuing a v5c you insure against the vin and they have things called computers that connect to insurers computers and they know if you have /have not got insurance..

if you ve sent off your stuff you ll get it all back in a fortnight saying... sorry no insurance..

Edited by totalshell

Yeap, the DVLA will send it back saying no insurance. You need to insure the bike against the frame number which is what the MOT will be against. MSM will not insure bikes without registration. You will have to use one of the big 3 bike insurers who will normally insure a frame number but only for 2 or 3 weeks. They will cancel the policy if you don't go back to them with the registration number within the set time limit.

This link to the VMCC has some good info!

http://www.vmcc.net/media/file/SOS%20form.pdf

You should buy RTA insurance at each road trial as all normal motorcycle insurance policy's (Except MSM) will invalidate the policy if the bike is being used in competition! IE a Sammy Miller round which are all road based trials..........

Do many bother. Probably not!

Link below to MSM Insurance if you want to double check if they will insure for a few weeks on Frame / VIN number as it was some time ago when i last checked and the answer was NO, but things do change.

http://www.msminsurance.co.uk/trialsenduro.asp

Hope that helps.......

Edited by gasserguy