Fork Leg Damage

maverick73

Hi, Just come back from a practice session and am now the not so proud owner of a scratched fork leg slider on my 2012 Gas Gas. The scratch has gone through the black coating into the metal beneath, has anyone had the misfortune to do this and if so how much is a new slider going to cost me?Thanks in advance.

After I did a similar thing on my Gasgas, I buffed the scratch to remove and sharp edges that might cut a seal. Fortunatley, the scratch was not too deep and the forks tubes did not have that black coating. After that I installed some "gaitors" and never had a problem. Those were the bellows type rubber ones. I did punch a couple extra holes in the lowest convolution of the bellows to allow them to breath better and not make so much air noise during compression and rebound.

My 4RT came with some cool neoprene sleeves that I like better because they don't act like an air pump as the bellows do. You can see both types on this page.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/1059/Fork-Covers

I expect you can get some a little closer to where you live.

Edited by thats_a_five

That black coating on the forks is a nitride coating designed to reduce stiction of the fork seals. I would be very hesitant filling it with a standard epoxy as this may effect the seals as much as a scratch. I would get a very fine 1500-2000 grit wet and dry and very lightly polish back the sharp edges on the scratch, avoiding as much area outside the scratch as is humanly possible. I would then leave it at that. :thumbup:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I used black nail varnish straight onto the aluminium and you couldn't see where it was scratched, it stayed on for 2 years and no leaks. then the bike got nicked but its probably still okay now but I hope the scum have killed em selves on it :lol:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I used black nail varnish straight onto the aluminium and you couldn't see where it was scratched, it stayed on for 2 years and no leaks. then the bike got nicked but its probably still okay now but I hope the scum have killed em selves on it :lol:

Did you sand the scratches before you put the nail varnish on or just paint over the scratch area ? Sorry to hear about your bike being nicked had one nicked a couple of years back still P me off even now!

Did you sand the scratches before you put the nail varnish on or just paint over the scratch area ? Sorry to hear about your bike being nicked had one nicked a couple of years back still P me off even now!

I only took the raised edges off with a piece of canvas or the back of some emery cloth. The varnish works best if you use it to fill the scratches using a cocktail stick not the brush. A bit of practice to fill the grooves very slightly proud because the varnish shrinks a bit when it dries.

It may sound daft but don't take too long because it dries quick and messes up if you keep going over it.

• Like 1