Nostalgia Trial Youth Age Limit

john b

Yes, there definitely is an age limit. Officially it's a adult only trial but the clue is in the title. It's a NOSTALGIA trial, therefore it's an opportunity to not just ride a good trial but also to chew the fat with other older riders about the past, therefore we do not have youths riding and whilst we don't discourage young adults, if it is over-subscribed then we would weed out younger riders in preference to older guys. Not being unpleasant you understand but it is an event for those with some extensive riding experience behind them. Hope this helps.

Many thanks for the reply, I was just unsure of the age limit of 'adult' being amca ? (15?)

I'm aware of the intent of the nostalgia, I've ridden it the last 5 years, however now my son is riding. He rides modern with me, and we both ride twinshock as well and he competes in acu as a twinshock as a youth. He loves the whole nostalgia weekend, we come for the full weekend and he would love nothing more than to compete.

I understand the sentiment of event, however I would like to encourage younger elements into the classic trials scene, it can only help in the long run.

Many thanks

John

• Like 1

Hi Guy's.

Bit abrupt there Hillary.

John is so right we should try to get more young blood into Classic trials, and this young man looks as though he is keen on the older stuff, if he prefers that type of machine to the "Modern" stuff.

This is why Wright'y and Co, have set up there new trials series to encourage guy's to try the simpler trials sections on cheaper available machines, this swing back to "proper" trials bikes with saddles fitted is just what the sport wants. And I have said before there is know better way than riding with your son in a pleasant trial, and not balling at him stood watching him try to achieve somthing he does, not really want to do on a "Modern" bike. My opinion. OK

Regards Charlie. www.bsaotter.com

• Like 2

Sorry to have offended anyone and I agree about getting younger blood onto older bikes, but that's not the point with regard to the Nostalgia Trial which is a unique event on a nostalgic weekend. The trial was first held nearly 20 years ago purely with the aim of reuniting older riders who would have known each other in the past and was not aimed at bringing in young blood. Sorry if you don't agree with that point, but that was the aim.

Over the years younger riders have ridden and whilst there was no objection to them taking part, some of the older riders (at whom the trial was aimed) have taken umbrage and no longer enter.

So whilst younger riders will not be barred, the aim will be to fill the entry with older riders and if there is then entry space younger riders can be accommodated.

• Like 1

laudable intentions, but opens a can or worms, how young is young.. and how old is old enough to certain of a place... does a regular 55 year old rider give way to a 75 year old once a year man..

first come first served covers all the basis..

trials a simple sport for everyday folk.., complicated only by blokes on bikes

• Like 1

A good debate !

My comments to throw in....

In the Twinshock trials I have ridden with Christopher (who is 12, rides a whitehawk 80, has a Sprite 150 and Bantam waiting in the garage) every comment is positive (its great to see young kids involved, I started on one of them, he rides that well for a young-un etc), I have never had any negative comments

Completely agree against the ageist method of entry.....

My CV, I'm 47, have had bikes since 8, motocross since 18, trials since 35, active motorsport for 29 years, I've been rider, clerk of course, post-knocker-inner, starter, scruitineer, observer, me and my son must ride 40-50 trials a year......etc - you get the score.

So how do I stand against a 50 year old, or 60 year old who either came into the sport later (20 years ago), or as totalshell says is a once a year rider ? ??

That said I hope this debate does not jeopardise my entry as it will be sent off as soon as the regs come out !

Also on the scramble - almost all of the front runners in most classes are under 40, I would say a lot under 30, the top guys in their 20's ?

People want to see them race - do the same ageist rules apply here ??

Many thanks for the forum and opportunity to debate !

John (Aged 47) and Christopher (aged 12)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update all on this subject even though the event is still several months away, the actual decision is that any rider under the age of 35 who choses to ride a Pre 65 style machine will automatically be included in the Twinshock class.

Hi there

Does a Pre 65 scramble rider aged under 35 on a BSA get put in with the Twinshock Pirates against the Maico 490's ?

ps - doesn't really affect me, I'm 47 so obviously an oldie anyway ! - just trying to understand the logic and consistency

pps - yet again this is tongue in cheek and hope it doesn't affect my entry !

cheers and yours in sport........

John