Oops!

telecat

Wow, that took a hard hit!

I will share a bit of wisdom I got from a friend when discussing braking expensive brake pedals. He said "I stopped breaking pedals when I decided to stop trying to move large rocks with them." :wall:

I hope you can get that case repaired. I imagine replacements are quite spendy.

Edited by thats_a_five

Jumping from one concrete block to another and the rear wheel slipped on revving up. The bike is going in on Monday. Hopefully it is just the cover "lugs" that have been damaged and obviously it isn't oil "tight". CSP do some bash plates but I am not sure of the materials strength compared to the original. It seems that we have the choice of 7075 T6 Ergal or Avional 2024. Any metallurgists out there?

Chris did previously trash a Bash plate back in 2007 on a 125 Gas Gas Racing but that turned out to be faulty. Basically it had the protection rating of butter.

Edited by telecat

I am near certain 7075 T6 has a yield strength approximately 25% higher than Avional 2024 but it depends on the exact grade (heat treatment) of 2024

I think the Avional is a Spanish designation aimed at the aero industry.

Ergal is a trade name for aluminium alloys that have a similar composition and characteristics to Duraluminium which is similar to 2024

The above are age hardened which can be modified by heat treatment. I once bought a piece of 1/4 inch thick Duraluminium to make a Bulto sump Guard and it had to be shaped within a week and would gain full strength in 14 days.

All the above have yield strengths of 325 to 450 MPa whereas "ordinary" steel is about 270 MPa.

7068 is the strongest grade (I have heard of) with a yield of 700 MPa

Edited by dadof2

7075 is much stronger tensile strength than 2024. 2024 has a better weight ratio but they usually add several compoents to reduce corrosion. If those are your two options go with 7075. Dad of 2 is correct it does depend on how its treated.

Early last year i took a large chunk out of the side of a bash plate which drove me to spend more money. I have heard of several bikes and brands having similar experiences.

--Biff

PS. On a positive note your oil level sight glass is operating 100% properly.

Edited by biffsgasgas

Damage was "limited" to the Lugs being knocked off the case. Delay down to the Clutch mech under the case being different so the new case needed the New Mechanism. I gather it's aluminum rather than Steel. Inner case was just a little bent and was straightened. New Bash Plate already showing it's mettle. The Costa Special Part is thicker and Pennine have used longer rear bolts with Ny-lok nuts to hold it on.

Chris was having a good ride at the Spen Valley Trial At Tong when he the bike fell on his knee at Section 10. Still hobbling today.

Edited by telecat