Buy Now Or Wait?

smarty156

I'm in the market for a new Gas Gas 300 Racing. I see they've just dropped the price of the Standard version and now I'm just wondering whether I should hold off buying the Racing.

When does the new model traditionally come out? Presumably they may drop the price of the current 2014 model in the run up to the 2015 coming out?

Also, any news on what they might change and if/when a Factory Replica is coming out?

Another thought - with the price drop the Standard bike is now around £900 cheaper than the Racing. I see you can buy a Keihin carb with Raga reed block/inlet manifold for around £265. Other than the rear shock, are there any other differences (particularly engine wise)? I know the discs, front caliper and rear wheel adjusters are different but frankly I don't really care about that. Buying a Standard plus a Keihin would still save around £600 and I doubt the rear shock would make much difference to me (was an expert rider but tend to do mostly Over 40 route these days for fun).

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Edited by smarty156

Thanks for the PM.

I've had a go on a 280 & 300 Jotagas, a 2013 300 Racing, a 2014 300 Racing and a 2014 250 Racing Gas Gas. They're all nice but I've been a Gas Gas man for years.

I was actually very impressed by the 250 Racing. Couldn't actually tell much difference between that and the 300, although I wasn't trying to do much as they were other peoples bikes. I suspect in the mud and bigger stuff the 300 would have the edge with being easier to pull bigger gears and use the torque, which is how I like to ride ("old school" as I was told recently!).

I see the 2014 Factory Replica was announced today, about 2 weeks earlier than last year. On that basis, the 2015 Racing will probably be announced early June.

I'm thinking I may be better off waiting to either see what the 2015 bike is like or possibly get a bigger discount on a 2014 bike. I guess the risk is they sell out of the 2014 Racing and there will be no discounts initially on the 2015 bikes.

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions....

Mind you, I've got a road bike to sell first. Anyone in the South East want a mint 2007 ZX6R? :-)