What Oil Helps Make Clutch Buttery?

cs9575

Hi there,

I bought a used 2011 Sherco 290 trials and have been told what oil you use can help how the clutch hits. There is 75wt gear oil in now. The manual says 10w40. The clutch is not as smooth as i like at slower speeds. So without changing the springs what oil should I use to HELP make the clutch as smooth as possible and less of a hit?

Thanks a bunch!

Have you tried/considered ATF.

Lots of people on this site use it and it in no way causes any bike impairment, I have used it on previous bikes, the one I have now, I have just got, so when I change the oil over, it will be ATF, as I think it makes a difference to changing and clutch operation....

Lots of people seem to be happy to use ATF,if you change oil regularly enough, it will not cause any obvious wear issues.Over the years I have sold most of the options to lots of customers. The best answer I could give would be to try using various oil manufacturers' products as long as they meet the manufacturers spec, you will find one that suits your preferences.Everyone seems to have their favourite.

I would advise against ATF, it is too thin when hot. It is designed for auto gearbox clutches which are not designed to slip to the same extent as a motorcycle clutch.

As previous poster says, try different sorts, maybe a 15w40 , 20w 40 or 20w50.

You could also try filing small gentle tapers on the leading and trailing edges of the fibre pads on your clutch plates.

A grabby clutch is more down to clutch materials than oils. However one does not have to much of a choice when it comes to clutch materials on stock trials bikes. With that being said

One is forced to experiment with oils.

I swear by this oil and currently use it as my 2014 Montesa Repsol clutch oil.

I agree with Dad02 stay away from ATF..............

Check out Castrol Tri Zone on You Tube on how this oil works well on clutches.

BillyT

post-260-0-66147800-1397087416_thumb.jpg

Edited by billyt

A few things to keep in mind here.

10- 40 and 75 wt light gear oil for bikes are somewhat similar in vis and totally different from 75wt hypoid gear oil, all use different rating systems.

Having tinkered wit a few, all I can tell you is you be careful what you wish for, as too buttery is not allways good! The things need to bite on demand! NOW, BAM!

Now if you are just puttering around primarily, you may well opt for the light clutch like I do by removing two opposing springs from the pack. Not near as grabby and my old aurthitic finger likes it. 1/3 less effort! Takes 10 min. to do this and easily replaced if needed.

All I can tell you is I still achieve a full pop if needed still using the 75 LGO, Good progression. This on my "12 bike. On my "07 bike I had to go with the ATF to get the BITE when needed using the light clutch.

Find your own nirvana, your mileage may vary!