1996 Gas Gas Jtr 250 Switch Wiring: Any One Have A Diagram?

rohls

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1996 JTR 250 Gas Gas. Very sweet, but the wiring for the main kill/light/horn switch is cut. I have a new switch, but would desperately need to look at a wiring diagram. ANy one have a basic one I could have? Even a 'green=ground' type would be of huge help here.

Also, where is the best place to buy parts for this beast? I have looked just about everywhere and they are scarse to say the least.

Many thanks,

Rohls

Thanks for the reply!

I am in Central California, USA. :beer:

The attached 'KOKUSAN SYSTEM Wiring diagram' is helpful, though the RED WIRE to 'LIGHTS< HORN AND OTHER ACCESORIES' is not that helpful :/

I have a seven wire connector that goes to the light/horn/kill switch (multiswitch)...I had to replace the oringal switch (which I have with some cut wires) with a very similar one.

Can you guys tell me what color wires go to what..? RED = Positive, BLACK = ground....what's YELLOW? What's GREEN/YELLOW? What's GRAY? What's WHITE? What's BROWN?...etc.

Not to complicate the issue, but I'm not able to fire it up in it's current state, SO I'd like to have the switch wired up with confidence before I button her up again.

Thanks in advance :icon_salut:

Thanks for the reply.

So did it run before you tried the switch? Those were very unreliable, and for trials everything in the states were removed as they were not road legal.

Thanks; yup runs with the switch disconnected....just doesn't have the kill switch option then.

I have another new and similar switch and am trying to hook up the lights, horn and kill switch again....so yeah. That's where I'm at.

I have seen 2 different wiring diagrams for that say they cover 1996. One is the Kokusan that Bilks posted. Here is the Ducati system.

On both, you will notice that the kill switch is wired to the ignition module which is wired to the ignition windings of the stator and the spark timing sensor.

All other electrics come from the "lighting" coil of the stator. That feeds to the voltage regulator and fan, and has a red wire that feeds to "all other accessories."

From there, all I can suggest is chase the wires with a voltmeter to see what color goes to what accessory and make your own diagram. There are only horn, headlight and taillight, right?

You say you have a "similar" switch, not an exact replacement. Again, use your VOM and figure out the what colors go to what things and make your own diagram. If you know what bike the switch came from, you might be able to get a wiring diagram for that bike.

Pretty hard for us to help without being hands on with the bike.

Don't ride without a kill switch even if you have to wire up a separate one.

post-16243-0-00224600-1397252443_thumb.gif