Some Pics From My Last Ride

bigmark1972

My stomping ground....

I got a nice 2004 Sherco 2.9 earlier this year, have about 4-5 tanks of gas through it.

Been riding some of the old stomping grounds I used to hit when I was a kid.

More fun on a trials bike for sure, starting to get into decent bike shape.

Anyway it been fun learning all I can thought I'd share a few pics of where I ride.

I am lucky to be able to ride right from home my parents have some land in the country

and all the old trails I rode as a kid are still right where they used to be :)

image.jpg

This section goes on like this for a very long time, LOTS of gnarly sections like this to try and get over.

I basically try to go slowly and get over as much as I can without dabbing, I still suck bad but sections like this

get me breathing hard fast.

image.jpg

More of the same, tons of logs to practice my blips and double blips.

I pushed it a little too much tonight my hands/wrists got tired and took a nice trip over the handlebars

after missing the tree....

image.jpg

Another section here lots of hills and ditches to hop over along this

power line.

image.jpg

This was on my parents property I have a bunch of these suckers I drug all over their property with a skid steer.

Sherco's are great at stripping bark, I never knew that.... ;)

Bar ends help as I ride a LOT through the forest and I was bashing up my hands pretty badly.

I have another section that is really cool but I have to wait for the spring thaw to finish.

To get to them I have to ride 200 yards through a metal tube that goes underneath a divided highway.

I tried earlier this week to make it through and got stuck in the middle (that sucked bad)

Anyway just thought I would share some pics....

Also I have a question for anyone who knows....

When you guys are doing blips and double blips, zaps, etc to you bother covering the rear brake?

It seems much easier for me to be on the balls of my feet when approaching these logs and

I don't want to get practice of doing them the wrong way.

Or do you re position your feet if you need to hit the rear brake?

Seems like that would be very difficult during the act, esp if you are trying to hold pressure?

Edited by bigmark1972
  • Like 1

Sweet! Just be careful with them bark busting bar ends, as there have been reports of some flipping the bike over a big log like that and snapping wrists with them!

I likr thin gloves, but I would easily use thicker work style mechanics gloves in the brush and such, and I do have elbow pads that cover most of forearm if needed, knee guards as well, as you do not really need the full effect of a fall on sharp granite!

• Like 1

Thanks for the warning, I had not thought of that. Broken wrists would not be a good thing.

I am def pretty bruised up from falling but nothing really bad yet. biggest issue is my hands are like hamburger with blisters will be easier when they toughen up.

-Mark

Looks like a fun place to ride. Remember the MOTA season starts April 26&27!!!

Be an AMA member and come out and have some fun........

Also let me or Biffsgasgas know when you are ready to make a trip out to ride/crash with us.

Thanks Zippy, I have not forgotten about you guys, I want to ride with you all but currently have an issue with my drivers license. (DUI)

I am hoping to get it back soon but who knows they are not making things easy for me.

i think I must have dated my hearing officers sister or something, she freaking hates me.....

I might be able to bribe/coerce a family member or friend to come out with me.

In the meanwhile I am practicing and learning all I can... Ryan Young sure makes this stuff look easy...

-Mark

• Like 2

Looks pretty sweet BigMark. (we will call cope lil Mark for now :) ) The group in Michigan will be here when you are ready to come out.

On the west side of the state there are a several riders who belong to the Mid Michigan club which has property in Vermontville.

Today we went and rode for about 4 hours in Flint. Everybody had got their crashes in too. I forgot to look up so the bike and i came down. Buddy Jermey center punched a log thats 4 foot thick causing all of us to point and laugh. Buddy Doug did the classic over the bars when traveling up hill on his Reflex pointing and laughing also followed. And another mark just timed everything wrong on our rail road tie box since he broke parts we held off on laughing. Either way dont feel bad about "suck" because we all have those moments/complete events.

While you are out there enjoying your play ground here are a few hints:

1. Keep your knees out. If the bike decides it wants to be 2 inches to the left or right you dont want to be pushed in that direction too. It will feel like your taking a dump for a little bit but the more extreem you can keep your knees out now the better you will be in the future.

2. practice looking up. You know what the front fender and tire looks like. It will still look like that for many many months. Don't look at it. Dont look for the log 2 inches in front of you. The earlier you can practice looking up the better off you will be in the future.

3. remember to breathe. Its tough i know but holding your breath will only wear you out that much sooner.

Have fun out there!

--Biff

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips Biff, appreciate it.

Funny you mention the fender thing... I caught myself doing that on my ride tonight and ate it badly.

Was a section with 2 large logs in a row ground was wet and slippery. I kinda got outta shape on the first one

and messed me up the second one.

Ended up face pushed into the ground laughing my ass off my still running bike on top of me....

Vermontville is just about an hour away from me I hope to get my restricted back soon, it

would be really cool to ride with some others, I've never even seen another trials bike in my neck of the woods.

I've been riding about 4-8 hours a week lately trying to force my self to make it a challenge and NOT let my rides turn into enduro

type leisure rides. It's easy to do when I start getting tired.

There are lots of really technical areas deep in the woods and they are definitely improving my clutch/brake control.

Next step is to make a few sections on my parents property so I can practice various techniques and staying in the lanes.

Going to try like Hell to make it out to the next local even so I can learn some stuff!

-Mark

Edited by bigmark1972

Bigmark1972,

I can tell you that there are several in your neck of the woods. I used to live in plainwell and be one of those. We used to hold events in the gr area and i would be safe to say that holding one there in the future would be a treat.

So you found yourself crashed and laughing? Well that does it. Your bit by the bug. If you can't crash and laugh then the sport is probably not for you. There is a huge learning curve with trials. You either fall in love with the challenge or it eats you up and spits you out.

You have that enduro bug too huh? Ok so the trials bike makes that enduro bug feel like a piece of cake! Use this to your benifit. Know when to go fast and when to go slow. If you see that there is mud in an area which you know does not have traction then you will need momentum. Just seeing if the bike has traction there may be too late. Just as important is learning how to stop in low traction. So also practice how to come off of something into low traction while maintaining control.

One last tip. If you setup sections go find yourself some flagging or caution tape. Ride the section in with out tape then tape it in. Its amazing how much a piece of plastic will make you change your approach. Practice with tape as much as possible. If the tape breaks you have a five (maximum points). Learn how to push the tape and use all of the realestate. It will strech.

You may already know this but is the quick and dirty on the rules for Mota:

Entry = front axle through the start gate

one foot down in the section = a one

foot down twice = a two

foot down three times = a three

foot down more than three times still = a three

Roll back = a five

miss a marker or break some tape = a five

fall off (laughing or not) = a five

stopping and ballancing with no feet on the ground is no points (Eff no-stop! rule)

exit is front axle through the exit markers.

We don't follow the "gate" rule in Mota which means you shouldnt go through another classes gate.

Have fun out there but try not to get too good before we meet. Try like hell to get dropped off in Ligoneer Indiana this weekend. Friends and family will be waiting.

--Biff

Edited by biffsgasgas

Hey Biff, are the MOTA boys holding the Wardsville trials again this year in Canada? I don't see anything on your website

No not this year. They were struggleing with support last year to the point where the second day we had to do a lot of self checking. Hopefully we can build up the Windsor team again to put that "O" back in MOTA. We love the property and the people we just need some more support for them. In your next CMA event put the word out. Maybe a few of us will try and catch one of your events.

--Biff

• Like 1

Big Mark1972

SWEET see you this weekend. Ask for Biff or Zippy or any Team WGASA member they will point you to us.

Canada280i,

We hold two events a year in Whitmore Lake MI which is about 50 min from the boarder. One is this weekend which is probably too early but its a great event. Come and hang out whenever we would love to see you again. Mike D would also appreciate the call and support. I agree that he needs the support.

--Biff

• 2 weeks later...

BigMark1972 if you can make it out to bentfenders we would love to see you.

We are setting up this weekend and have the event next. The night before the event we are camping free-o-charge so don't hesitate. If you were around today it was stellar weather.

--Biff

Sorry I ended up getting really sick and could not make it to the event.

Good news is I have my drivers hearing the 15th (4 days) so I could be

able to drive again in a month or so and then will be able to make it out for sure.

My bike died yesterday unfortunately so now I am trying to figure out whats up with it

as it's not running right now.

I'm posting a help thread in the Sherco section.

• Like 1