Montesa Mh/cota 200 Plastic Tank/seat Unit Repainting

hab5000

you need to visit an auto paint shop supplier ,2 pak would be best as needs to be petrol resistant , hi build primer is good to fill imperfections and id say you will need to add a plasticizer so the paint can flex when the tank expands ,also use 2 part fillers and stoppers to prevent sinkage ,, if theres cracks they need grinding out and repairing with fibreglass resin or you can use a bridging filler ( a filler paste with fibreglass in ) quite handy ,make sure keep it clean and free from oily finger prints

• 4 weeks later...

Had no luck getting a tank for a 1982 Montesa Cota 349 painted. Took it to a professional outfit who applied all the right treatments and paints but after a couple of months the paint lifted due to the plastic tank being porous to petrol vapours.

Ended up with a tank that I rubbed down with various grades of wet and dry until I had a reasonable finish and then applied 'coloured' car wax. Applying this on a fairly frequent basis has kept the tank looking good with no problems with porosity.

My 200 tank was also porous and in a rough condition. I left it in the open air for a week to allow any residue to evaporate and then gave it a thorough shaking with a handful of gravel and detergent inside to loosen any muck in there.

I then sealed it internally with one of the proprietary epoxy tank liners and let it cure for a week. Can't recall the exact make but a google search will bring up several suppliers. Not cheap but essential with modern fuel I think and worth following the instructions to the letter.

You don't say what area you are in but B&S in Kirkby in Ashfield can put you on to a superb tank painter who will make a great job, including graphics for around £100+

Great info - Thanks folks!

The tank has already been painted at some point, and they made a pretty good job of it. The paint's not bubbling or lifting, it's just looking a bit tired, with scratches, staining, chips etc.

Any reason why I can't just give the paint a light sanding and blow it over with a new top coat?. That way I wouldn't be stripping the tank back to the original plastic Would I need to prime it first?

• 2 months later...

Great info - Thanks folks!

The tank has already been painted at some point, and they made a pretty good job of it. The paint's not bubbling or lifting, it's just looking a bit tired, with scratches, staining, chips etc.

Any reason why I can't just give the paint a light sanding and blow it over with a new top coat?. That way I wouldn't be stripping the tank back to the original plastic Would I need to prime it first?

Hi, did you ever find any one local that could paint the tank/seat unit? Will be looking for some one my self shortly.

• 1 month later...