4Rt 2014 Failed To Start, Are There Any Weak Spots?

osiris

Hi guys!

I'am looking for any advices about almost new 4rt 260 montesa regarding what should I check to determine the reason when the engine cannon start after kicks or downhill on the 4th gear.

2 days ago i've removed all the restrictions following the manual except the chain and wheel's sprocket. Today I've been riding for almost 3 hours nonstop in our local forest. Suddenly the engine stops while riding on the 4th gear. I tried to kick - no results. Tried to kick with full throttle, then without - no result. Tried to roll down a hill and off the clutch on 4th - the engine doesn't want to start. I checked fuel and disconnected stop button too. Fuel level was about 1 lt. Compression seems as always good. There are no any visual troubles, liquid leaks, broken wires. Tomorrow will be an appointment in a common motorcycle service, they don't know precisely this bike. Hence, it is better to ask the community about any weak spots of the bike.

What should we check at first? What can be broken? Obviously, we will check the spark and plug.

Could you recommend me what can I check further? Thanks!

Andrey

Hi guys!

I'am looking for any advices about almost new 4rt 260 montesa regarding what should I check to determine the reason when the engine cannon start after kicks or downhill on the 4th gear.

2 days ago i've removed all the restrictions following the manual except the chain and wheel's sprocket. Today I've been riding for almost 3 hours nonstop in our local forest. Suddenly the engine stops while riding on the 4th gear. I tried to kick - no results. Tried to kick with full throttle, then without - no result. Tried to roll down a hill and off the clutch on 4th - the engine doesn't want to start. I checked fuel and disconnected stop button too. Fuel level was about 1 lt. Compression seems as always good. There are no any visual troubles, liquid leaks, broken wires. Tomorrow will be an appointment in a common motorcycle service, they don't know precisely this bike. Hence, it is better to ask the community about any weak spots of the bike.

What should we check at first? What can be broken? Obviously, we will check the spark and plug.

Could you recommend me what can I check further? Thanks!

Andrey

Hi Andrey,

I believe from your previous post you've converted from 'road' to 'racing' spec. So the first thing I would do (painful as it may sound) is go through the conversion procedure again to double check it was all done correctly.

Good luck,

Ian.

Did you follow the correct starting procedure?

1 - Don't open the throttle when kicking, not even a tiny bit.

2 - When it doesn't start from first or second kick, "reset the throttle/injection" by kicking slowly one or two times with the throttle wide open, then start as in step one.

Ian, i've been riding on the bike about 3-4 hours after have installed racing options, and the bike worked fine. It seems there is another problem like injector, pump, regulator or the same.

'Guys', I am already used to kick it during last 2 months, it sometimes started after the first or second kick, without the throttle.

Just now the engineer phoned me and said that the problem was with the plug. He heated it and the bike works now. The reason could be when I started the bike in the first time with the fuel and 2 percent oil mix which i had after using 2T Sherco. So, Montesa reaffirmed its quality!

Thank you!

• Like 2

Ian, i've been riding on the bike about 3-4 hours after have installed racing options, and the bike worked fine. It seems there is another problem like injector, pump, regulator or the same.

'Guys', I am already used to kick it during last 2 months, it sometimes started after the first or second kick, without the throttle.

Just now the engineer phoned me and said that the problem was with the plug. He heated it and the bike works now. The reason could be when I started the bike in the first time with the fuel and 2 percent oil mix which i had after using 2T Sherco. So, Montesa reaffirmed its quality! [/size]

Thank you![/size]

I thought it would be a duff plug, but as you said you had looked at the plug already I didn't bother saying anything. (I always carry a spare plug)

This problem is kicked up from time to time everywhere with bikes that haven't had a Pre Delivery Inspection done propperly.

I have been the victim of this with a brand new bike when aged 17.Cut out and wouldn't start.Carried a set of plugs pre set according to NGK.Well yes they were but what for i don't know.So the bike cuts out wont start again.So i read the manual.There it was "check the plug gap" . "Set to 0.7mm " Which i did and stuff me off we go .

So yes carry a plug but make sure it's set at the correct gap too.

Glad you got your bike sorted out any how .

Best regards Ted.