Ty175 11T Front Sprocket

ourian

Just fitted one of these, this modification must be the most value for money improvement any beginner can make to a stock set up, if you haven't got one, get one.

In 1st gear the bike now goes round corners instead of straight on, balance is better, climbs are easier and more controlled in 2nd and 3rd gears.

If doing the job yourself, you'll most likely need a chain splitter, I had to remove a full link or the chain would have been too long.

Also you may need to reduce the outside diameter of the sprocket nut captive washer, otherwise it will foul on the chain.

Apart from that, it's quite straight forward and the benefits it brings are well worth it.

Can you confirm if you are using original 428 or bigger 520 chain and how many teeth on rear sprocket?

Hi Mattylad

I'm using original 428 chain and a 51t rear sprocket. I've only changed the front sprocket for now,the chain & rear sprocket still have plenty of life in them, when either of the three has worn out I'll replace the whole set.

The 520 chain is not recommended for the TY175 as a trials set up,(ok for trail work I believe) as it's heavier 'it saps power' also trying to get a 51t 520 rear sprocket for a 175 you'll be searching for a while (unless anyone knows different)

Edited by ourian

"trying to get a 51t 520 rear sprocket for a 175 you'll be searching for a while (unless anyone knows different)"

If using a 520 chain, you would have fewer teeth on the back and front sprockets to achieve the same gearing.

• 3 months later...

My old chain and rear sprocket is roached so I just ordered 55 rear with 12 front. The ratio comes in very close to the 51 and 11. I thought I would try this way so I don't have to modify the washer and the less teeth on a front sprocket the faster it will ware, partly due to reduced contact area over less teeth etc. I ordered them via our local Honda dealer along with brake shoes. Prices were actually a little better than on line over all when considering shipping and the old currency exchange rip off scam the banks play. I also ordered an "O" ring chain.

I'll post how the installation goes with a few photos although my riding evaluation wouldn't account for much at my level of Trials Newbie-ness.

The gearing is good, but the o-ring is all wrong for trials riding. Sure it will last longer, but it eats up the power. Don` t believe it? Just try pushing it down the street.

Really! The thought never crossed my mind! I will see if I can change up that order today!

I contacted the dealer on the chain, it is on it's way but he said he has no problem adding it to his stock and selling me a non roller that he already had in stock.

"Roller chain sapping power"! It never occurred to me for a second. Now that's attention to detail.

I especially would not want to damage my casings that could put our little bike out of commission for quite a while.

Thanks!

Just got back from Vacation where we spent some time Kayaking along the beaches on the Northumberland Straight.

I picked up chain, sprockets and brake shoes on the way home. The dealer was fine with keeping the "O" ring chain and selling me a non "O" ring chain out of stock. I also got a chance to put the chains side by side for curiosity. As you knew the "O" ring was wider, a lot wider (by at least 3/16 of an inch)! So glad for the words of caution about the chain.

My son hasn't been on it for any length of time, just a couple trips around the yard. The old chain was so stretched I was afraid it would come off and do some damage. Also there are a couple things I want to bring up to a better state, should get him out after the chain and brakes go on.

Is there any recommendations for best oil to use for Premix and what oil should go in the transmission?

Edited by pat_56

Myself, I run Maxima K2 or Super M. It really depends on what is available. 50:1 for a good oil. The transmission will be happy with any 10w-30. I`m sure you will get more opinions. I just put an 11tooth on Thursday. Just took a small amount of trimming. First time I ever rode a Ty (twinshock ) in competition. Got hung up on two ledges. Otherwise I cleaned most everything else. Easy starting and light for an older bike.

Myself, I run Maxima K2 or Super M. It really depends on what is available. 50:1 for a good oil. The transmission will be happy with any 10w-30. I`m sure you will get more opinions. I just put an 11tooth on Thursday. Just took a small amount of trimming. First time I ever rode a Ty (twinshock ) in competition. Got hung up on two ledges. Otherwise I cleaned most everything else. Easy starting and light for an older bike.

I will run the best oil that is appropriate and once I start I will keep with it as long as I own the bike unless there is a compelling reason to change, I have run the same oil (Husqvarna 2 stroke factory oil) in my 2c bush cutter for 30 years it has cut many acres of bushes and grass and works as good as when it was new, I would not run saw oil in my bike though. I was told that the proper grade of oil had to have 3W on the bottle, I looked at some top grade oil (about $20 per litre) where I get my parts, didn't say 3W so wanted check into it online.

Would there be any point using synthetic 10W-30 in the transmission?

Start easy? I don't think you could push the start lever a full stroke slow enough that it wouldn't start. This bike just can't wait to start! And it settles into a steady slow idle. Remarkable really for such an old machine. I was told by the guy I got it from that he knew the bike since new, the original owner used to ride with him and every thing including the tires and chain were still original. The sprockets I got are 12t front 55t rear. He did however use whatever 3W, 2 stroke oil that he could conveniently find.

Edited by pat_56