Sherco Engine Noise

dnym

sherco 250..2004 runs normal but makes a sort of a rough moaning noise constantly...not a rattle,,more a drone.. as if no oil in..but there is..any ideas. ive geen told perhaps crank bearing..is it big job..expensive.. thanks any help would be appreciated

Most likely main bearings, not a hugely difficult job to do if you are confident in your mechanical abilities.

Get the newer sealed bearings & Viton crank seals from splatshop & you won't have any more worries

deffo sounds like crankshaft mains done mine this weekend all bearings seals gaskets etc from splatshop was £100 ish took me about 4hrs steady away from putting bike ont lift to having her running again

Yes I done mine some time ago. I collected all the info I could from back posts from this forum, and off the web and got quiet a few tips and things to look out for. Things like tying the gear cluster together and freezing bearing and warming cases. Just knowing what others had done and come up against was a great help as I'm only a hobby mechanic. Enjoy.

Taff

thanks for help.iv got down t literally splittin casing halves but there is absolutely no play on crank shaft whatsoever..so do I leave alone and just put back together..iv got a suspicion that the guy I bought it off wasnt usin amy 2 stroke oil..if I split it do I need t remove the gear shifter shaft or can I split..seems bit tight t split.iv removed everythin except gear shifter..

You won't feel play in the crank bearings even when bad. They have metal cages and the seals have support. On top of that if your flywheel is still on its its magnets would be working against you. If there was no 2 stroke oil then you would have major piston scuff and cylinder scuff. Was the Flywheel cover marked up on the inside? I say go for the crank bearings. Peace of mind and its a 10 year old bike so chances are it needs it.

--Biff

thanks..all back together now..runs sweet.. BUT first few minutes of engine runnin it started driplin oil out of the gearbox breather pipe..theres defo not too much oil in.. any ideas