My Sherco Died Yesterday :( Can I Take It To The Local Shop?

bigmark1972

Maybe not...

Bike is broken again....

Took it for a ride this evening ran like a top. Shut it off to take a small break kicked it over and it would not start.

Took it in the building pulled the plug shut all the doors turned off the light kicked it over no spark.

Changed the plug no spark

disconnected kill switch no spark

reset and re cleaned chassis ground no spark

I'm digging deeper but it's not looking good.

I am thinking this Sherco is going to be replaced with a

Honda in short order if I keep dealing with this crap.

:wall:

Very frustrating...

Well this sucks.....................

Seems really strange to me for a new stator to die so quickly although I have seen a brand new beta run for a couple of minutes out of the crate before it lunched it's stator so it's not impossible

If your old stator still tests ok then I wonder if it's possible that the magnets in the flywheel are failing which will produce weak spark, I have a spare from when you could only buy the stator & flywheel together which is yours for the cost of postage from New Zealand if you think that could be the problem

Appreciate the offer.

The spark was noticeably stronger with the new stator so I'd guess that rules out the flywheel magnets?

Cope you may be onto something as there is an issue with the harness on this new stator exiting on the other side of the stator

than my original stator did. I had some concern for this initially as it does create a bit of a pinch point.

I'll post some pics and investigate further into that.

Sounds as though your wires are pinched together.

Close... they are squished apart.

Here is what happened.

sherco_stator.png

In hindsight I probably should have seen this coming but the harness on the replacement stator had a kink in it at the right place

where it exits the case to suggest it had been used mounted like this before.

There IS some clearance here but apparently not enough.

Now that I think of it that casting may be different on another year of bike so my justification for even trying to use it may be wrong.

I guess I need to get the right type of stator coming as I am not seeing an easy way to solve this.

Will hold off on the Honda purchase, sorry Sherco looks like this one is on me.

Edited by bigmark1972

Told you so!

On the later models, beginning in "11 I think, the wires exit on the right side with the new cases. If there is no clearance it just will not work without major modification.

Not sure if anyone has had this issue in the past, but you make a darn good guinie pig! Ha!

Email Splat Chris to see if he has another. He reads these threads, so ref the pics.

This is also a good example of why we need cores back for proper years if he is going to try to keep exchanges on hand, so send both!

Cheers,

Lil Mark

Edited by copemech

Hi

BigMark has emailed me so hopefully we'll have sorted him out, here's a little info on the stators for future reference.

There are two different but very similar Leonelli stator plates, so it's always best to remove your flywheel and check which you have before ordering.

rleo_stator-old-back.jpg

The old style has the wire loom coming out of a slot on the back of the stator plate, this is found on bikes from late 2002 to some time around 2004 / 2005 ish depending on the cc of the bike. This replaced the earlier Ducati stator and ignition system with the Blue CDI.

rleo_stator-new.jpg

The new style has the wire loom coming out of a drilled hole 90 degrees away from the slot on the back of the stator plate, the stator is rotated by about 90 degrees so it has a different flywheel to suit (well it's the same flywheel but it has the grove for the woodruff key in a different place). These stators were first used in 2004 I think probably just on the 290 and then they put them on the other bikes later, they were used till they swapped to the twin map ignition. Unfortunately Sherco used the same part numbers for both stators so it's very difficult to know which bikes have which.

I thought I might have recalled something like that but I have slept since then!

Besides, Splat Chris is the keeper of the 27 8×10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us.

Wonder if he will catch that one?

I was out riding my 04 Sherco 2.9 yesterday and all was well it had been running like a top all evening.

I was done riding and was headed back home in fourth gear and all of the sudden the engine just cut off completely.

It will fire but only briefly and will not run for more than a second or so even then only very occasionally.

I changed the plug, cleaned the carb and it's acting the same way.

It's not a fuel issue as it was not changed and will act the same if I kick it and spray new fuel through the carb with the airbox removed.

Although I've not tested with a compression tester it kicks hard and sure seems to have plenty of compression also this problem happened almost instantly

and it had ran perfectly up until it shut off. I did remove the exhaust and had a look at the piston and ring and they look as new.

Reeds looked fine as well.

Anyway, The spark looks to me to be very weak and I suspect the problem is with ignition.

I've read Sherco's can have ignition issues but it looks like I need a special tool (that I don't have) to have a look under the flywheel.

I'm thinking about just taking it somewhere local because I want it fixed ASAP and I am busy running my business all week.

I am a little worried they won't know where to get parts or whatever else...

Is it an issue taking these bikes to a shop that works on the standard Japanese motocross bikes and the like?

Iv had a similar problem with mine same year just a 250 if your unsure give Chris at splat shop a call every one seed slater but mine was cdi box just need a vault meter & your fly wheel puller.