Beta Evo

slack

Hi to everyone iv'e finally took the plunge and bought a 2009 evo 290.I know the issues regarding this year but the bike does'nt look like its had a hard life.

I have a few questions regarding wheel bearings,what size do they take and what gearbox oil and how much does it take.Also do you oil the air filter,I have always had gassers but liked the look of the ego so thought I'd take the plunge.Cheers.

Regarding gearbox oil, Beta recommend SAE 10/30, 550 cc. I however have been using a good quality 5/30 oil, about 500 cc (half way up the sight class with the bike upright on level ground) as I feel the 5/30 gives less clutch drag from cold.

Yes oil the air filter with filter oil as it is helps catch any small dust particles.

The rev-3 always had 6004 2RSH 20 ID x 42 OD wheel bearings, but I think that 2009 was the first year of the EVO and the smaller outside diameter 61904 2RS1 bearings 20 ID x 37 OD were fitted to both wheels. However, the back wheels bearings of this type are more prone to failure due to the load and in 2010 the back wheel only reverted to the 6004 2RSH bearing.

IF your back wheel is original is is most likely the 61904, so if there is any play replace them sooner rather than later as they have been know to damage the hub if they completely fail in use. I have heard of people getting the rear hub bored to take the 6004 bearing, but provided that you change the bearings when required, they should be ok.

Hope this helps.