Mar Gearbox Oil

oldbiker

The oil level screw is in primary drive case at the front left hand side of the engine.

Handbook says SAE 30 in winter and SAE 40 in summer. I think we used to use 20w-50 or EP 90 gear oil.

Capacity about 1 litre

Thanks for your reply, but I cannot find it.

I know that to fill the gearbox you remove the small pressed aluminium plate with the Ossa logo.

Is there a separate level plug or do I fill to just overflowing ?

I have a gripper 250 which has a different case (smaller) and i put in 900ml so i just drain all the oil that is in and then pour 900 ml through the alloy cover, i dont worry about the level. Steve.

type "ossa mar engine" into google images and you can see the oil level screw. If you take the small alloy cover as the centre of a clock, the screw is at about 150mm away at 8 Oclock.

Hi Guys,

I also need to fill the engine of my Gripper.

Just finished changing mains etc. so good to hear about the 900 ml for the smaller cases of a Gripper.

How does Motul Transoil expert SAE 1W40 sound it´s all I have at present (use it in the SWM´s) ?

Hi Mudyman,

I have not used motul transoil before but if its ok for the clutch as well as the gearbox i would think you would be ok. I find when i try a light gear oil i get a lot of clutch slip but when i put in a 20w50 multi grade from the local car spares shop it is great, i have a standard ossa clutch but when i next change the plates i am going to try a barnet clutch which i think you can use a lighter weight oil.

Steve.