Drills For Beginner On Non Trials Bike

I am going to TTC soon and am riding a Crf450x until I get there. Any drills I can be practicing on my bike that will help me? I was figuring stops and starts, balancing, figure eights...? Thanks for any help.

As mentioned, balancing. It's basically the same regardless of the bike, although the center of gravity is noticeably higher on an enduro bike. I'd say any training that makes you more proficient/controlled with clutch/brake/balance are all good. The hardest thing for me to get used to coming off enduro into trials is the slowing down part... sounds silly, but it's really tough to go slow, so practice that a lot.

Good luck with the balancing :). A crf is heeeeeavy compared to a trials bike. You will have to serious over exaggerate your movements to transfer it through to the bike. I recon you will be better off practicing throttle / clutch control by riding as slow as possible and attempting lock turns. Give it all ago....nothing to loose and any peg time helps.

Can you balance it? Even just for a short bit? Curious if its actually possible. Ive never tried.

I haven't found that balancing on my KTM is any different than on my trials bike for the most part... I'm equally bad on both. If I have the front wheel anchored in a small hole or against a rock, etc. both are easy, but on pavement it's a lot harder (for me). But like I said, I can balance either for about the same amount of time in the same conditions.

Practice with tape. Practice getting caught in it and practice how to get it out of your tire. Also practice stretching and pushing it. Learning how to unwrap tape from the rear wheel in a section is a bit too late.

I also practice jumping onto a step or a bench with two flat feet no bike. Generally when you jump up and onto something you are launching off on one foot. By unloading and jumping onto a step using two feet flat that will help you unload when riding the bike.

I also tend to practice crashing quite a bit (aka Biffing it). I don't think its ever planned or intentional but I am really really good at crashing. How ever silly this sounds it really helps me when riding. I am usually ok trying something scrary now because I know that if I happen to crash I generally know how to handle the situation so that I am safe with the bike leaving functional.

--Biff