Newbie To Sherpa T 350 M125

clasico

Hi folks, i'm about to purchase a sherpa M125 in a weeks time, so excited!

Been riding monos for the last 15 years. Now i'm going back to twinshocks where i started in the mid 70s. Even thinking in entering into classic trials!

I've some questions for you, if I may.

The bike i'm planning to buy was rebuilt some 7/8 years ago but has been unused for the last 5 years, kept indoors. Just wonder if that could cause any problems.

Havent seen the bike yet (looks pretty good in pics). The owners tells me that everything is fine but the rear wheel which is a bit twisted. Apparently you dont noticed it when you ride it but if you look at it from the back on the move then you can tell.

Is that a $$$ fix or something simpler?

Well i've a ton questions more but i'll post them once i've the bike and after reading most of the posts, just in case my questions have been answered before.

Of course i'll be pleased to assist you if i could be of any help.

Cheers from sunny Spain

• Like 2

The only other thing you should do is clean the carburettor out and check the airfilter. Pull the airfilter out and clean it. If it is okay then put it back in. Often airfilters which have not been used for a while go crumbly and you have to throw them out. Do this before you start the bike. The rear wheel often you can take buckles in the rim out by moving the spokes. This just takes time and effort. It depends on if the spokes want to move or not. Enjoy your new Bultaco! Graham.

I did some 800 km yesterday to pick my new baby.

A most original Sherpa T 350 model 125 (see pics in other post). Looks pretty good and strarts very well even after 4 years standing. It has the original amal which i plan to change for a newer one for smoother operation. Any carb recommendations?

Gears enter ok but are a bit noisy (clanky). Hopefully some fresh oil will sort this out.

The clutch lever goes like butter but do not engage totally. With full lever i've to brake to stop the bike. What should i do?

My plan is to change shocks and front suspension. The engine was totally restored 5 years ago and has only done a few miles since or so the PO says. Sounds very well so it may be true

• 3 weeks later...

Well dont rush with suggestions!

I've taken the bike to a knowledgeable mech for a general maintenance to include new fluids, air filter, brakes, carburation and front suspension new oil. On sunday i'll go for a mornig ride with other classics, i cant wait!!,

In the meantime i'd be grateful if you have any suggestions on carbs, shocks or any other, not expensive, tweak to make a kit campeon more rideable.

Hi Clasico. As far as shocks go it depends on how much you want to spend. Rockshocks and Falcons seem to be among the best around but you pay for them. I have NJB expert shocks on my M 199 B which seen to be pretty good and not very expensive. I think they are currently going for 98 pounds. The forks I would treat it to some new springs which make a huge difference. Once again it depends on how much you wish to spend. I just got some from Bultaco UK which I find to be good. The Carburettor I have an old Mikuni on mine which is fine. The Dellorto`s are good or a Keihin is also good. Once again it depends on the rules in your area as to which kind to use. A flat slide is better than a round slide but some places you can`t use a flat slide carb because of the competition rules. A fair few people like the Oko`s as well. You will need a 28mm carb. Did you find out what was wrong with the clutch on yours? I hope this helps you. Graham.

Hi bullylover, thanks for the ideas.

For tbe time being i'm only doing a general maintenance service including clutch and brakes. The mech told me the engine sounds very well and new oil could make wonders with clutch and gears, also recommended to keep original amal after some cleaning.

On sunday i'll compare to other same vintage bikes which i'm riding witha, and will get a better impresion about whta else is needed, possibly just shocks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Most definetely i've to replace rear shocks and fork springs, the bike feels like going on wooden blocks right now!

I thing I'll go for NJB experts, been told that betors are crap

More to come...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered 340 mm NJB experts and 410 mm magicals springs from Bultaco UK.

I guess I'll have to put some long PVC spacers cause the original springs are about 475 mm. Anyone having installed this 410 mm magicals can give me some ideas?

I'll change bars, bent the other day, and mudguards as well, want to keep the originals straight!

• Like 1