Castrol R Or Same Thing By Another Producer Truro

metisse

dout people would stock it on the shelf down your way mate,and if they did they would ROB YOU BLIND FOR IT from what i heard of the prices they charge at the dealerships in cornwall.

ebay would be better value i would of thought

Are you sure you realy want Castrol R....it's a bugger for going off and gumming up your motor. A nice synthetic will give you more protection, easyly available and cheaper...only thing missing would be the smell, but I'm sure I read of a synthetic that has the magic 'R' smell...just can't remember the brand.

• Like 1

CASTROL R 30

Contains specially selected additives to prevent rapid deterioration through oxidation.
APPLICATION
Castrol R 30 is are recommended for competition applications only. It is a “one meeting” only lubricant, with fresh oil to be used at the commencement of each meeting and drained at completion. Castrol R30 is not recommended for normal road use.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
  • For racing and high speed competition, Castrol R30 provides the ultimate in lubrication.
  • If the best possible performance coupled with reliability is the aim, then the remarkable stamina and great film strength of Castrol R30 will provide a valuable "margin of safety" at ultra high engine speeds and temperatures.

Seems to me it's not made for trials motorcycle. As bashplate says, there are better suited oils these days.

I've seen what a mess it made on the bearings in my Bultaco.

Edited by guys

Thanks for the input, unfortunately I live many miles south of Blighty and them Frenchies seem to stock bugger all, and if they do its at take it or leave it prices.

My mother in law is down to visit next week and lives some of the year near Truro, and to try and get some value out of her coming, I thought she could bring me amoungst other things a couple of plastic bottles of R.. Its for a thirsty Ariel for when she takes on a Spanish pre 65 armada later on in the year on home turf, and as the Ariel has always quaffed the R and never missed a beat... I thought I would stick with it. I also add a drop into the ride on's petrol mix to remind me that there are in fact better things to be doing on a Sunday. It seems I will have to look on ebay or something and try and get it sent to her before she heads south later next week.

Morris Lubricants sell a Castor based MLR, and they do a Postal service. That said, I only use it in my JAP race motors and since they're 'total loss' oiling, changing it frequently means emptying the catch tank. The binned oil is most excellent for starting lovely smelling bonfires in the garden :stoned:

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

R40 is available on ebay for less than a tenner a litre. But probably not ideal for trials.

However if you just want the smell, add a spoon full to the petrol should do it :)

Years ago, when I was a smoker I had a Zippo lighter with a small amount of R40 in the fuel. It was great every time I lit a fag the whole place smelt like a classic TT race :)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...