Lithium Ion Batteries For Oset 20

pmski

Have looked at doing the LiPo conversion and just don't want the hassle of managing that type of battery. I recently put a Shido Lithium Ion battery in my KTM Supermoto and was impressed with the weight saving and performance.

So, got me thinking I could put 4 x 12v Shido Batteries (19wh) Link here in the Oset 20. This will save around 70% in weight and should also give a longer run time as they are 19wh (Oset batteries are 10ah) Has anyone tried this, will it work?

Looking for any type of input from members who have experience of batteries.

Thanks

Wh = volts x amphours so if this battery is only 19Wh as they claim then is only 1.6Ah .. I would have thought it should be bigger than that.. something is wrong here :huh:

standard sla Oset batterys are 10ah.

The batterys in your link are basically the same as earthX batterys http://earthxmotorsports.com/ and yes they will do the job..

edit: the sla version of this battery is only 3ah so it sort of makes sense why is has such a small ah capacity.

Edited by gwhy

Thanks for the reply, I really don't understand what it means though - what is SLA?

Wh = volts x amphours so if this battery is only 19Wh as they claim then is only 1.6Ah .. I would have thought it should be bigger than that.. something is wrong here :huh:

standard sla Oset batterys are 10ah.

The batterys in your link are basically the same as earthX batterys http://earthxmotorsports.com/ and yes they will do the job..

edit: the sla version of this battery is only 3ah so it sort of makes sense why is has such a small ah capacity.

PMSKI: I switched to LiPO for my 20 and haven't had any issues at all so far. As long as you do plenty of research, follow the 3 rules of the batteries, get a decent charger I think there's no better way to go about it. Plus you'll have the infrastructure to do anything else electric that you like (such as add lightningrodev mid-drive kit to your existing mtn bike and use the same lipo pack you're running on your Oset). The only issue is getting a good charger. I think I somehow found the last hyperion on the web, but there are a few other options now. Go over to endless-sphere.com and read up, take the plunge into lipo, but only if you're really prepared to learn what you can and can't do with them so you're safe.

With LIpo I saved 17lbs over the stock battery and added about 20% more power and at least 2x the range (i'm pretty sure i can get 2 hours out of it and i weigh 180lbs).

SZ

PMSKI: I switched to LiPO for my 20 and haven't had any issues at all so far. As long as you do plenty of research, follow the 3 rules of the batteries, get a decent charger I think there's no better way to go about it. Plus you'll have the infrastructure to do anything else electric that you like (such as add lightningrodev mid-drive kit to your existing mtn bike and use the same lipo pack you're running on your Oset). The only issue is getting a good charger. I think I somehow found the last hyperion on the web, but there are a few other options now. Go over to endless-sphere.com and read up, take the plunge into lipo, but only if you're really prepared to learn what you can and can't do with them so you're safe.

With LIpo I saved 17lbs over the stock battery and added about 20% more power and at least 2x the range (i'm pretty sure i can get 2 hours out of it and i weigh 180lbs).

SZ

Thanks SZ - I have just taken the plunge and ordered LiPos. Was sent instructions by a member last year so I am following them and placing alarms on the packs. My only question is to how to connect them to the bike itself. I still want to connect the existing batteries when needed. Any advice or pics welcomed.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

ok, so have given the LipOs a go, and I just can't be a***d with the hassle of charging and maintenance of these things. Think I have zapped the smart charging board.

I plan to go for the lithium route something like the Earth X batteries wish I had done this in the first place even though they are more £££.

If anyone has any alternative suggestions to Earth X then let me know. For me ease of charging and maintenance is the biggest factor along with weight saving.

Edited by andy

ok, so have given the LipOs a go, and I just can't be a***d with the hassle of charging and maintenance of these things. Think I have zapped the smart charging board.

I plan to go for the lithium route something like the Earth X batteries wish I had done this in the first place even though they are more £££.

If anyone has any alternative suggestions to Earth X then let me know. For me ease of charging and maintenance is the biggest factor along with weight saving.

I think if you have given lipo ago and decided that is not for you then I would agree that the earthX batteries is a very good alternative as they can be treated as the standard sla batteries.

Edited by gwhy

• 1 month later...

Found this mate as an alternative to earth x whilst doing a bit of research into oset battery power. Not cheap! but the packs can be treated like sla batteries so a lot safer in charging and discharging.

http://eclipsebikes.com/battery-cells-battery-packs-lifepo4-battery-packs-c-77_68.html?osCsid=88d7b93895a88762e1f7e19bb2b96b38

Edited by mrturtle

Found this mate as an alternative to earth x whilst doing a bit of research into oset battery power. Not cheap! but the packs can be treated like sla batteries so a lot safer in charging and discharging.

http://eclipsebikes.com/battery-cells-battery-packs-lifepo4-battery-packs-c-77_68.html?osCsid=88d7b93895a88762e1f7e19bb2b96b38

Yes these packs are a lot more user friendly than home built lipo batteries but care is still needed so you CAN NOT treat them just like sla's and a special CC/CV charger is still required.