Sherco Help No Fuel

asimo

Previously you mentioned that it did have a spark but that it seemed weak. Are you not getting spark any more? Do the spark check indoors in a darkened room. Often, the sun is too bright for you to see a spark outdoors.

I still come back to your previous statement that the plug is always dry. If the bike was getting fuel but no spark, the plug will be wet and you can smell fuel on it.

Have you checked the woodruff key in the flywheel? If that shears, the timing can be way off and the bike could refuse to run.

I am still waiting for the flywheel puller, then with all the good advice I have received from here

I am going to check everything in the electrical circuit

a mate came over to have a look and in total darkness we could not get a spark

so the mystery continues, thanks for your help

I finally got the Sherco going today.

I as wrong it wasn't fuel it was electrical

all i can do is tell you what I did to fix it as I am not sure what part was not working, coils, trigger???

Sherco Perth loaned me a puller and some advice so today I pulled of the flywheel and the stator, old one

it was rusty and filthy, So I cleaned everything with carby cleaner and compressed air.

then I noticed the stator had been rubbing on the inside off the fly wheel so I sanded both surfaces with wet and dry 400.

I pulled out the plug and kicked it over and saw a big spark. so I put it all back together and went for a 30 minute ride.

then I noticed a loud screeching noise coming from the fly wheel cover so I guess its rubbing again only worse. not sure why its doing it but will strip it down again.

just want to say a BIG THANKTOU for all the help you guys gave me. its good to know what was wrong and to go riding again. thanks again

any ideas on why the stator is rubbing on the fly wheel would be appreciated.

cheers

asimo

It could be the mains as Lineaway says or some other parts that are dragging against each other. There is not a lot of extra clearance between things so a little mis-alignment, an extra washer under a screw head, or even a missing cover gasket could cause parts to be too close together and cause a screech. If it did not screech before you fixed it, and does after, the problem is most likely an alignment problem that can be easily fixed by rechecking your work.

I think lineaway is right.. I took off flywheel and stator again

I could feel a small amount of up and down play in the main bearing

I think that's why I found wear marks inside the fly wheel when i took it off

how much play can I get away with, so I can ride it. basically I want to ride it know as I need to get fit and practice.

what happens if it fails?

Are the mains push on bearings and is it a big job to change them do I have to split the cases???

its ironic we get it going, fix the stator now this problem.

its got great compression, what would make the mains wear out.

the bike is starting first kick now every time as I keep testing it.

thanks again asimo

Mains normally wear due to water or dirt getting in them

Replacing mains involves splitting the cases but if you have a rattle gun the flywheel puller is the only special tool that you need, the replacement main bearings should be sealed & it is a good chance to replace the crank seals with Viton ones which cope with alcohol in the fuel better

When I have done the mains in mine I've ordered the parts off splatshop & they are here in New Zealand in under a week, think you'd be looking at maybe $100 delivered

Most people should be able to replace mains & seals in an afternoon including removing the motor from the frame. I find it's best to remove the clutch etc before taking the motor out as it's more stable that way. No need to remove the head from the barrel which saves needing to replace the orings

Edited by tony27

I have the Sherco going,

I have a ringing noise coming out off the flywheel cover

flywheel is not rubbing on the cover and the stator is not rubbing on the inside of the flywheel.

this is the first Sherco I have ridden and heard. when I take off the cover the noise is quieter

any ideas please.

As far as I know the spun bearings only happened in the first models using the bultaco branding

You confirmed that the bearings are shot with the vertical movement you found, time to give the bottom end some love