How Much Is A New Gas Gas 300 Pro In Ny?

smarty156

How much can I expect to pay (incl all taxes etc) for a 300 Gas Gas Pro (Standard) in the US (more specifically New York)?

Can't find any prices on the net.

Would I be better taking my bike with me if we move out there?

Thanks

Thanks guys. Pretty much as I thought (i.e. Take my bike with me).

Wife is being flown out to NYC next week for a few days for more interviews and to sit in on some board meetings to get a feel for it.

We're still not totally sure if we're going to do it. Need to do more homework on costs, places to live etc. I won't be able to work initially but that's fine as it means I can get the kids and us settled in before looking for a job.

Off topic but does anyone have any views on living in the Mamaroneck/Larchmont/Rye areas? Wife's job will be right next to Grand Central so thinking Westchester county would be best to keep the commute down? Also, could we do it on one salary of $160,000 (assuming medical provided and kids go to public school)? We'd probably rent for a year to get a feel but can't really move around due to kids (9 and 5) being in school. Rents around there aren't cheap and looks like $3-4,000 per month for something reasonable.

Finally, back on to trials - can you point me to NY trials clubs on the web?

Thanks again.

Smarty156,

In NY specifically your two large trials clubs are 3D trials on the East side of the state and D4 on the west side. 3D is very grass roots but have some awesome riders and great terrain. They don't have a website that I know of but some members drift on here from time to time. The closest event that I know of to where you would be living would be in Phonecia on Hunter mountain in the Catskills. Awesome property but I am not sure if they have one this year. D4 is a bit of a haul from where you are going to be based but here is their website http://www.district4trials.com/

In upstate your two dealers are www.tryalsshop.com run by Mike Komer and Dave Reed (local dealer). Call Mike and he can give you an idea of whats around and prices and such.

Now thats your NY connections however I am not familiar with where you are comming from so I have a few comments and suggestions.

First off if you buy a bike out of state you don't have to pay the state tax initially. You are supposed to claim it later but with out registering a bike in the state I don't know how they can tell. Owning many bikes in NY I can't say that I have ever had an issue.

Secondly you are really close in that area to NETA which rides in MA, RI, VT and Conneticut.http://www.newenglandtrials.com/ I would suggest if you live in West Chester that you would want to check out some of those events as well. Jacks Cycles also sells out of New Hampshire so he would be a good source of bikes for you. Riding District 6 in PA would also not be too bad for you either. There are several dealers in the PA region as well. Unfortunately West Chester and all buroughs North of the city are metropolis but you are not alone and there are others in the area who are like you and have to travel a bit to get into their trials spirit.

Hope you enjoy the move. Its a fast pace and expesive place to live but if it works for you and the family I hope its a positive one.

--Biff

3D Trials new web address is http://3dtrials.org

Come on up and ride with us anytime.Nothing at Hunter mt this year but lots of other locations and plenty of practice spots.

There is a very good dealer close to the city with some good riding also.Powerline cycles is the dealer nearest the city that i no of the owner is a trials rider and a grear guy.

JR

Thanks for all the info guys. NETA looks like they hold trials not too far away. It will take a bit of getting used to travelling a lot further to do a trial. At the moment I travel maximum 45 minutes and if I wanted could ride every week at lots of different locations (and I'm in South East England where we don't have much trials land).

I've been riding trials (off and on in recent years) since I was 9 and I'll be turning 44 next week. Hadn't ridden for 5 years but started up again last October and ended up buying a new GasGas 300 in April! Trials is in the blood and I didn't want this potential move to put an end to that. Glad I can keep riding.

At the moment it's still very much up in the air as to whether or not we would move out. Need to do a lot more research. If anything, it will be the money that will stop us as I won't have a work visa, just my wife. I'm not sure yet if living in Westchester (current favourite is Mamaroneck) on one salary with 2 kids will be possible or not. I'm a qualified accountant too so in theory should be able to get a job ok but we can't rely on that.

The potential new employers are flying my wife out on Saturday (business class) and putting her up in a hotel near Grand Central until Wednesday night, when she'll fly home. Couple more interviews with very senior people (already had one interview in London and one in Brussels!) and observing a 3 day Board meeting. I don't think they'd do that unless they were going to offer her the job (could be wrong but that's an awful lot of expense if they're undecided). Could be wrong though.

Hopefully we'll know at the end of next week and we can make a decision. In the mean time I'll have a look at those websites. Fingers crossed!!!

I agree that they are probably in the mode of selling her on the job rather than determining if she is a good fit. Congrats! Is it feasible? Sure it is but as in anything it will be a change. In the US we drive for trials. My close practice area is 50 minutes away and we drive hours just to ride for an afternoon. Thats just the way it is around here. Your wife would get really comfortable with the train system there because driving into NYC is maddening unless work from home is the prime option. Fuel is about $3.90 or so a gallon now so driving twice the distance would cost you about the same.

Enjoy the adventure!

--Biff

Thanks Biff.

Fuel in the UK is currently around $9 per UK Gallon (around $7.50 per US Gallon) so driving the extra miles to get to trials shouldn't be too bad financially and will be a lot less day to day than we currently spend. I have a VW Touareg at the moment and to fill it up from empty costs about £135 or $200 in diesel. I'll be looking for a more economical vehicle if we move as it will mostly be a run around car (plus trials obviously!).

Smarty156,

To give you perspective I have a 2003 Passat V6 Gas and I struggle to get $50 in the tank from near empty which gives me about 350 miles towing. NY state inspection is kinda of a pain but from what I hear its much much easier then the UK. If you buy a newer vehicle you are inspection exempt. You can also get much more car for your money here but our vehicles are also used to travel huge distances. This last vacation I put 2800 miles on my car in just over a week and a half. On that trip I ran into $2.99 a gallon. Oh and if you travel in New Jersey you will probably get yelled at for trying to pump your own fuel. Every state is different.

--Biff

Thanks Biff.

Well, she's still in NYC at the moment with another day left and they've made her an offer. Just need them to put it in writing with details of the relocation package, benefits etc (I know there's full medical for family and some pension arrangement).

She needs to decide whether the job is what she wants, if it's enough money (I won't have a work visa so I can't work, at least for a while or I find a company willing to sponsor me for a work visa), if she can cope with full time (she currently does 4 days) and if she can get her head round the fact it will be me dropping off and picking up kids from school and not her.

Lots to think about.

She had a realtor take her round Mamaroneck and Rye on Sunday to show her the area, which she really liked.

Watch this space!

Just one question for you Americans - what do you do with the kids when they're off school for July and August? We won't have to deal with it yet but given most Americans only seem to get 2 weeks holiday a year (wife would get 4 weeks in new job so not too bad, although not the 6 weeks we both currently get) how do they cope with school holidays. Is it a case of signing them up for summer camps?

Well the obvious solution is to put them on Osets or 80cc's in the back yard!

I don't know how old the children are but day camps for swimming or some sort of activity are pretty plentiful. You and the Mrs will also want to explore the Adirondack region about three hours North of you on the weekends. There is also a ton of camps and things to see in the Catskill region as well not too far from you. Neighborhood baby sitters are also easily accessible. America is also the land of 300 channels of cable and high speed internet but those are poor solutions.

You will probably find yourself traveling more on the weekends discovering New England and the tri-state area.

My parents gave me a gallon of gas and a TL125 to keep me occupied. That was cool until i wore the grass out then it became work.

Best of luck with the move!

--Biff

This IS funny!

"Just one question for you Americans - what do you do with the kids when they're off school for July and August? We won't have to deal with it yet but given most Americans only seem to get 2 weeks holiday a year (wife would get 4 weeks in new job so not too bad, although not the 6 weeks we both currently get) how do they cope with school holidays. Is it a case of signing them up for summer camps? "

This is when you fly the mother in law over!!!!!

God help you!

Edited by copemech

Good point. Although I'm not sure I could cope with that for 2 months!

On a serious note, if both parents work and they only get 2 weeks holiday a year each (ok, I know some get more) then during the year you must be paying a lot for summer camps/child care.