Cracked Upper Rearshock Mount, 2008 - 280Txtpro (With Picture).

mic

I was going to change the airbox on my bike today since it ws damaged, and when i cleaned some hard to reach places on the frame while having the airbox detached i found two really big cracks under the rubber protector on the upper rearshock mount, see picture.

I had to zoom in to make the cracks visible since the frame is black, but it is identical on both sides of the shockmount, and the picture is tilted 90 degrees, but i hope you can make out the location anyway, i can always upload another picture if not.

post-14765-0-40037300-1404671909_thumb.jpg

post-14765-0-96810000-1404672447_thumb.jpg

Obviously i need to fix this, but what mehod of welding would you guys recommend, and what material is the frame made of? Is it chromoly?
Should i try to reinforce it or just weld the cracks together after stripping the paint and cleaning them up?

Edited by mic

If you look closely to the welds, you can see that it's bad welding that's the problem ( the welds are too far to one side)

My Bultaco has the same bad welding, so not much has changed over the years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback, I have found a guy that is a licensed welder after talking to my local bikeshop.

He will weld it next week, can't wait to get it back so I can ride again?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now it's fixed, the guy who did it used tig to patch things up, looked alright to me and I'm happy to have a working bike again.

post-14765-0-37020700-1406724525_thumb.jpg

Edited by mic