2014 Evo 4T 250 Kickstand Weakness

mags

The kickstand on my wife's 250 4T has been an issue since day one. The thing keeps bending outward and the bike leans over way too far.

I have been bending it straight with foot every second trip so I knew metal fatigue is happening every time I do it.

I finally got around to pulling it off for inspection and discovered a small crack (from bending back) see pic 1)) so decided to do a repair that may hold for some time or possibly forever.

Be warned... it added 60 grams or so in bracket and weld.

Pic 2 is inside weld of fabricated new piece to original stand area

Pic 3 is outside weld of fabricated new piece to original stand area.

Pic 4 is all cleaned up and painted with 2 coats of satin enamel outdoor metal paint. Piece is in oven in kitchen drying nicely at 45 degC.

Wife doesn't mind motorcycle bits in oven as her dad did it at home when she was little!!

If it bends again I still have the option of welding a spine at 90 deg to bend plane but this should hold it much better than stock.

Mags

post-20008-0-95442800-1404968836_thumb.jpg

post-20008-0-65183000-1404968867_thumb.jpg

post-20008-0-56291100-1404968899_thumb.jpg

post-20008-0-33023000-1404968944_thumb.jpg

Tell your wife, in a nice way of course, that she needs to stop standing on the foot pegs, with the kick-stand down, while attempting to kick start the bike. That will bend the kick-stand every time.

Tell your wife, in a nice way of course, that she needs to stop standing on the foot pegs, with the kick-stand down, while attempting to kick start the bike. That will bend the kick-stand every time.

Huh? She starts the bike the way I've taught her... neutral, left foot on ground, clutch in, throttle at idle or fractionally above, right index finger on brake.

I've seen her start bike on pretty steep hills! Facing down them and up them... never had stand down.

Kick start is on right side of bike so is side stand... you would be leaning towards right and kicking on right if trying to start on side stand, bike would possibly topple over as you kick???

Mags

Edited by mags

Ok! Got stand back on and looks pretty good clearance wise! Its feels much stronger can't bend with hand now! Maybe the metal on this particular stand was weakened from zinc process or just not work hardened for pressing it?

A couple of pics...

Mags

post-20008-0-00640200-1405057409_thumb.jpg

post-20008-0-88285700-1405057434_thumb.jpg

The original design looks flawed. The top is very strong with that 45 degree welded gusset. The bottom is also very strong with the pivot bracket welded on. As a result, all the bending moment must occur at the bottom bend, right at the heat affected zone by the pivot bracket. Adding the extra material with the 90 degree bend as you did, more than doubled the strength of the weakest part of the bracket. Well done!

• 1 year later...

Hey I have just bought a Evo 4t that had no stand I've just ordered one from beta but they have sent me a completely different the one in the picture is that the exact shape , because I will copy the picture and email beta , cheers