Ty 175 Build In Old Mexico

mmmexico

I've been bothering you guys on this forum for the past six months with questions about my TY. Things are coming along nicely and I am about to start doing the part that seems more interesting to most people, i.e. the cosmetics. Yesterday I did a trial fit of the WES exhaust system. I have been documenting this build in my blog.

Take a look for better higher resolution pictures and a bit of commentary. Below is a shot of the exhaust

meditativemachinery

Mike

post-19176-0-10979200-1405179189_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is just a quick up-date. Painting has begun on the Mexican TY. In a week or so you guys will have a complete bike to take a look at. By the way, this is a Sammy Miller tank which is at least 15 years old. It has never seen ethanol. Here in Mexico all of the corn gets turned into tortillas. All of the gas (petrol??) is pure dead dinosaurs.

Better pictures and discussion on my blog

meditativemachinery

Mike

post-19176-0-97918200-1406137479_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

post-19176-0-96951200-1408142616_thumb.jpg

Finally, some results that you can see. I spent a couple of hours today assembling the chassis so that I could wheel it around the garage and free up the hydraulic lift for the TLR. The results are what you see here. Not exactly the kind of TY that you are used to seeing at vintage trials events. This one is a little bit nicer and will spend absolutely no time fording rivers or wheeling up granite embankments. It will have a quieter, gentler life cruising the beaches and gentle riverbeds of Baja California.

post-19176-0-77555500-1408143071_thumb.jpg

Above is a detail shot of the rear fender mount. As I have detailed in my blog, this required a few additions to the frame. The welding was done by a good friend of mine who really has no experience with motorcycle frames, but he has a lifetime of experience with welding.

post-19176-0-60554000-1408143434_thumb.jpg

Above is a shot of the tripletree. As you can see, I have been free with my use of oversize-drilled alloy washers. Again, not necessarily strictly functional, but for the intended life of this bike...they fit in just fine.

The bike actually should be up and running this week. The engine cases have been joined...actually a couple of weeks ago...what is left is for me to satisfy myself that the rest is going together correctly. The clutch...the electronics...shifting assembly...kick start assembly, etc...I have a new chain...gold, of course and the tires (tyres??) are in good shape. In no time at all, I will be falling down and adding a measure of "new" patina" to this old bike.

If you want to see more and better pictures, and/or catch up on the build, take a look at my blog at: meditativemachinery

Thanks for looking

Mike

• Like 1