315R Slow Jet

craigrushton

Hi all a bit of advice required please. Re 2002 Montesa 315r. PHBL26BS

Bought Bike then stripped it straight away as I wanted a good one as getting back into trials after a long time, so done all bearings etc.

Just had engine re built ie. new piston,rings,mains,seals and cylinder re-plated.

The thing is I cant seem to get it running rite at slow revs, But starts 1st kick,

Symtoms are.....

1) Doesnt idle well,

2) Air/Fuel screw doesnt seem to do much,

3)Off choke its not picking up sharply,

4)If you rev it a bit sometimes the revs just go up and up and have to stall it with back brake.

Please note.... Throttle cable free and lubed, slide snaps shut and free, slide shows no sign of ware. carb has been stripped cleaned and jets have been cleaned with solvent and compressed air.

Needle clip=3rd from top.

The jets are main=110, slow=33

Had a look at manual and it says main=110 slow=35

Could this slow jet be causing the problem ? being a smaller number ?

If I cant sort its going in to a shop (anyone recomend one in Bolton/Bury area?) as I want to start riding it !!!!

Thanks in advance. Craig.

If you are looking for a good mechanic try Geoff who works at Sandiford Off Road in Burnley BB11 5SS 01282 455 697 about 20mins from Bury on the way to Clivinger practice venue. Good luck.

Sounds like a possible air leak, or that jet or passage plugged. Run a fine wire through it to be sure! Corrosion may be restricting it if it has been stored. Although 35-36 jet may be more common today with the alcohol induced fuels.

Edited by copemech

Well Thanks people for advice, but took it to Sandifords offroad as I could not solve.

Geoff has had a look at it in there workshop and found out the engine builder had left out the crank seal !!!!!

Im not happy as there was another problem with the build that I sorted out ! and this Guy said he had 21 years of building trials engines !

Am not happy at all with engine builder, but well done to Sandifords Geoff for solving the problem, just waiting for the crank seal to arrive from the engine builder then hopefully get on the thing and give it a go !

Sorted now, thanks to Geoff and Martin at Sandifords off road, :thumbup: Runs like a new one, after all that carb cleaning and taking it off and on the bike looking for the answer ! Just got to get time to get out on it, as its taken sooo long to sort.

Cheers everyone for the advice. :thumbup:

Craig.

post-19183-0-39722300-1406568701_thumb.jpg