1986 Reflex Kickstart Slipping

awilliams64

I just picked up a 86 reflex 200 today. The kickstart is slipping, not the lever to the gear, but seem to be the shaft. Is there anything common on these that cause this problem? It catches at times and will start right up, but other times it does not want to catch at all.

On account of this problem my engine is just disassembled. Either the pinion and the rachet on the kick start spindle cannot move any more freely (oil mud) or their teeth have wore out and the springs have got tired. It`s recommanded to change the retainer and the kick shaft cam too.
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-tlr200-reflex-usa_model1107/partslist/E++12.html#results
The engine case must be divided to develop the kick start spindle. I´ve changed all these parts and checked the spindle.
I use the repair to change the typical wearing parts (cam chain with tensioners and spring, valve seals).
Unfortunately, I have the Honda workshop book for ´86 Reflex only in printed form, but it is recommendable.

Edited by rollox

I just took apart the side cover and saw that there was some sludge in the inner spring past the outer casing. I cleaned it out, drained all the oil and want to put the right side cover back on, but in the meantime the auto decompression spring fell off and I cant tell which way it goes back on. so I am in a search for that. Could anyone with a manual send me a picture of the auto decompression page by chance? I need the spring location as well as the outer shaft parts. I see where the flat washer and spring go, but the bigger gear with the oblong surface, not sure which way it goes.

I am going to try new oils and remove sludge before I tear apart the whole case..hopefully this will work.

• 1 month later...