Scorpa Sy250 Reviews

dan

I'm currently looking to buy my first trials bike in about 6 years (excepting bike trials that is). At the moment I'm really tempted by the SY250, but I'd quite like to read a few more opinions on them before I commit myself! Because I can't seem to find any, can anyone point me at any dependable reviews of the SY250? I know that a lot about choosing the right bike is personal preference, but hopefully a good review should provide me enough information to help me make up my own mind :)

Any opinions on this bike as compared to the current crop of triallers would be appreciated as well. As I understand it, the SY250 is considered quite a nice clubmans bike and having a Yamaha engine should be pretty solidly reliable (anything which means more time riding and less time fixing is good by me).

I loved the Scorpa I had, it was nice and smooth at the bottom end so it grips well, and it goes like f**k when revved to,you have the best of both and I got on with mine brilliant.

And the Yamaha engine is definently reliable to doesnt matter if you thrash it or not still started first time the next time you got it out the shed.

And unlike the GasGas I have now, it is built very strongly

• Like 1

I purchased a new REV3 Beta in 04. and just couldn't get on with it. Finally due to electrical failure I px'd it in for another Scorpa.

I had an SY250 three years ago and found it brilliant as a clubman bike.

I knew that I should have gone for another SY when I bought the REV3 but felt like it was a backwards step, afterall the Scorpa has changed little since 2001.

That said, I am really pleased with my 05 250, despite being an ageing model, it can do far more than I will ever ask of it.

I have fitted a slow action throttle which softens the power delivery down even more, but riding in the muddy club trials in the Midlands, it's spot on for my limited ability.

On the reliability front, although anything mechanical can and does go wrong, my 02 Scorpa never let me down in two years of riding every weekend. I hope the new one is as good.

• Like 1

I knew that I should have gone for another SY when I bought the REV3 but felt like it was a backwards step, afterall the Scorpa has changed little since 2001.

There has been quite a lot of changes since 2001. Not withstanding the 'bold new graphics', the 02's had new forks fitted, 03's had a new swinging arm. There's also been various tweeks to the exhuast both in performance and materials used.

Essentially the engine is the same but then tell me a manufacturer that makes changes to them.

Its a great bike and it'll do anything that you can ride. They are realiable and that Yam engine won't let you down. Only problem is that some aspects of the maintence is awkard due to the location of the parts. For example, you need to remove the subframe to get the carb out etc. Don't let that put you off though, I've only needed to take it out twice in 3 years.

Edited by boofont

Only problem is that some aspects of the maintence is awkard due to the location of the parts. For example, you need to remove the subframe to get the carb out etc. Don't let that put you off though, I've only needed to take it out twice in 3 years.

I had the 03 and found the carb would slip out with a wiggle and went back the same way. I brought my bike new and found the footrests were very stiff to pivot - back brake used to get through pads noticeable more than any other bike i've owned. i'm just over 6 foot tall and found the bars a little low, but changed them.

The engine is so well sorted i would seriously be happy to commute this bike to my place of work. The looks are drop dead and some of the engineer is a work of art. I would definately buy another if i had enough money, excellent bike worth ever penny

The previous comments say it all...It really is the complete package for the ability of most riders.

Had Yamaha bikes since 1976 and changed to new gassers from 96 to 2000.

When the SY 250 was released in 2001 the first ride reinforced why I love the smooth,predictable non aggressive characteristics of the Yamaha motor which combined with the superb Scorpa engineering make it hard to fault.

Have now had the five SY 250's and have both the 2006 250's on order.

The worst thing about owning one is there is not to much happening in the Trials Central SCORPA section because every one is out riding them...not fixing something else that has grounded them. ;):angry:;)

Edited by steveo
  • Like 1

I'm new to the Scorpa fraternity. I had a GasGas TXT280 for a short while before it got stolen. The GG had a very snappy motor that was a bit much for this old, easy line rider. I geared the GG down a bit and retarded the timing to make the motor more manageable. I really have nothing bad to say about the GG, it served me well. After it was stolen I tried a number of bikes. Had a chance to ride a Scorpa, and had a first hand experience of the smooth power of the Yamaha engine. The Scorpa is not all about the engine however, the build quality is excellent and the bike handles beautifuly. I found a used 2001 SY250 at a good price and snatched it right up. The more I ride this bike the more I like it. Everything you've read here about the smoothness of the Yamaha engine is true.

• Like 1

In the state I live in the main dealers are GG and Beta so there wasn't too many Scorpa's around. I had been riding a '00 250 Sherco and had tested the new Sherco 250 and didn't feel like it offered much more than I had for the cost of stepping up. Then the Scorpa importer did a demo day trials school here early this year and I rode the 125 and 05 250. After only a few minutes I was enjoying the 125 4t but in love with the 250. Later that day I was offered the chance to be the local dealer........quess what....I took it.

Even though I have been sidelined for 14 weeks after dislocating my shoulder I have been chaffing at the bit to get back on a bike. This week I have a 04 250 and a new 175 arriving and I can't wait. Reading the above posts only enforces what I have heard here in Australia about build quality and broad engine power. And don't thing they are are only clubman bikes....2003 Aus Champ rode a sy 250 and NZ has a pretty tidy championship contender too that rides a Scorpa.

BJDownunder

ps.. Webmonkey do I sound biased??????? ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies people!

I think I'm pretty set on the SY now, just need to get myself a test ride to be absolutely sure.

After reading all the old posts in here I'm particularly enamoured with the idea that the SY is easily tuneable - although I'm unlikely to want anything too savage for quite a while it's nice to know I can make it ride that way should I want :)

CAUTION!!

Unless you are ready to lay out the cash for one, DO NOT take the SCORPA SY for a test ride!

Once you've been on one you won't be able to live without it.

Robee

That's what happened to me.....I was happy with my old Sherco (and so was the wife who holds the purse strings) until I rode the SY! As you can see I not only fell in love with it but I decided to become the local agent. I assembled both my bikes yesterday and had a short ride. The SY 250 is nothing short of amazing! It pulls like a tractor in 4th from almost no revs and has no power band anywhere just power everywhere. Can't have another ride today............it is Snowing here for the first time since 1983 and not the best of days to play outside!!! I like the 175 too it is a great fun bike but I think the wife is going to steal it from me! Looks like I'll have to order more stock as I think all I have sell now is a smile ;)

BJ(freezing)Downunder

• Like 1

Just to bring things down to earth, I had an 02 SY250 and I just couldnt get on with it the rear suspension was either too bouncy or too choppy (I often wonder if the shock was faulty) the clutch was quite sharp and hard to control, the big jump into 6th gear was anoying over the moors (I know you dont loose any marks but is all part of your day out).

You also will have lots of fun welding up the clutch casing of that wide engine every so often (

the clutch was quite sharp and hard to control,

Funny that i feel mine is abit on/off too ,but as no one else had mentioned it i thought it was me ,i did give some thought to fitting a bigger m/cylinder off maybe an 04 beta , bit like the mod some people do to the rather fine 4RT