Wtc Section Design

We have lots of topics on here about how we're riding under the wrong rules and about the adequacies or inadequacies of volunteer observers. One subject we should discuss is the section designs at WTC level. In the run up to Penrith, I read Fuji describe the venue as almost like an indoor trial, outdoors!

Since the rules changed to no-stop (like it or not, they did, so let's not start that moan again today) I've not seen much change in the layout of the WTC sections. There is thus very little in the section layout or terrain to encourage the riders to keep moving. Consequently they sail as close to the edge of stopping as they feel they will get away with.

I looked at the Saturday results from Britain & the results from Belgium. 71% (Britain) and 73% (Belgium) of all WTC section attempts resulted in either a clean or a five. This is not very selective and leads to an almost binary scoring system.

The Clerk of Course and FIM Representative (Jordi Pasquet) should surely be striving for something more selective.

What do you think could be done to improve matters? Or are you happy with 'clean or five'?

World round section plotters seem to make the same errors as at every other level of the sport. Penrith had some pretty big stuff but often very little in between. A 10ft step with a long run up and nothing beyond it takes commitment and is spectacular but is clean or five. Make the step 6ft and have something a wheelbase before and after and that requires control. The best made some big stuff look simple and lost marks on things which were pretty small but awkward.

• Like 1

I think another issue is having 3 routes per section. The nature of the land at penrith meant for example on section 3 both middle and hard course rode along a flat bit of grass for 10 / 15 metres to get past the youth route. Both stop and non stop at this venue seem to be very short sections like one jumble of rocks connected by flat ground to make one longer section. This may just need more thought in layout but using one begin and ends for three routes is potentially making it harder for the coc