Are The Bigger Evo's Harder To Start?

sawtooth

I'm leaning towards an '11 EVO for my next bike, and as my last 2 bikes have been Rev3 270cc & GasGas 280cc I'm thinking about the EVO 290cc. I know the 280/300cc GasGas's are a bitch to start as a general rule so are the EVO's the same? The 270cc Rev3 I had a few years back was very easy to start.

We've just switched from a 2011 Beta Evo 250 to a 2014 Evo 300. I find that the new 300 does take a bigger kick and a bit more respect as it's more likely to kick back if you pussy foot it. But saying that it still starts first or second kick, hot or cold. :thumbup: Great Bikes the Evo's

We've just switched from a 2011 Beta Evo 250 to a 2014 Evo 300. I find that the new 300 does take a bigger kick and a bit more respect as it's more likely to kick back if you pussy foot it. But saying that it still starts first or second kick, hot or cold. :thumbup: Great Bikes the Evo's

Thanks, does it always require you to be up on both pegs to start it? My GasGas 280 will not start if I keep one foot on the ground, I'd like to be able to start it mid section with a foot on the ground when I stall it.

The 290/300 Evo's are high compression, So they take more starting than the 250 does, But you don't need to have both feet up to kick it over if you have a strong enough kick. When I switched from my 2010 290, To the 300, I found it was a little harder to kick over.

Never owned a 250 before, Only had a go on one once, I found the 250 nice and smooth, As were the 290/300 wants to go a bit more, The throttle response is a bit more aggressive on the bottom end, But I found swapping from the 290 to the 300 was different, The 300 seemed slightly less snappy but had more low down torque, Which I found better to be honest, You need to try them to know which you prefer best,

Never owned a 250 before, Only had a go on one once, I found the 250 nice and smooth, As were the 290/300 wants to go a bit more, The throttle response is a bit more aggressive on the bottom end, But I found swapping from the 290 to the 300 was different, The 300 seemed slightly less snappy but had more low down torque, Which I found better to be honest, You need to try them to know which you prefer best,

I like snappy so the 290 sounds good :-)

the evo's are absolutely easy to start weather it be a 200 0r a 300 factory! no snap back no standing on both pegs to get it to kick over, if you have a leg then you have no worries my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome, deffo getting a little annoyed with the GasGas as it always has to be done up on the pegs. My old Rev3 270 would start so easily.

I've never had an easy time starting GasGas. The 2013 EVO 300 I have is easy to start but as stated you can't pussyfoot it or it can kick back. About three months ago I put an S3 low compression head in and it got easier to kick. Also mellowed the savage hit on top to something a little more user friendly.

Thanks, does it always require you to be up on both pegs to start it? My GasGas 280 will not start if I keep one foot on the ground, I'd like to be able to start it mid section with a foot on the ground when I stall it.

I normally just stand in the chair for the first start up of the day! Makes it nice and easy! :banana:

post-2720-0-71854100-1406410083_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I normally just stand in the chair for the first start up of the day! Makes it nice and easy! :banana:

attachicon.gifIMG_2249 (2).jpg

Oh man, if I ever upgrade my 300 that is it!

You definitely cannot pussy foot a 300. I had a lot of starting gear issues due to the force of the compression vs. the strength of the metal of the gears.

My issues started with a fluke, but it proves these bikes are built to the minimum of weight vs. strength.

• Like 1

I bought a 200 BECAUSE it is EASY to start. I can start the larger models but it takes significantly more effort.

My limited experience is that the 250 is significantly easier than the 300 and the 200 is easier yet.

My new 200 almost always starts on the 1st kick cold or hot!

I had another brand 270? or 290? for a short while that was a BEAR to kick.