Older New Member

johnmartin247

Hello every one, just joined the forum and want to say Hi, I have just bought a 1979 Montesa Cota 247 and i am attempting to relive my youth at 51 years of age. :D

The bike is stripped down for restoration as i type this, it was complete and running lovely when i picked it up last week.

The frame, swing arm and side stand are ready to go to the powder coaters and the shopping list for new parts will start next week when i return from holiday.

I am looking forward to getting involved in the forum and hope to pick up useful information and tips regarding the bike and getting back to riding trials after a 30 year lay off. :)

Cheers

John.

Welcome John

Hope you enjoy your Cota when its all back together.

It took me a couple of months of practice to get back into the swing of things, and the muscles that hadn't been used for 35 years - to recover from the shock.....

Cheers

Dave

Welcome John

Hope you enjoy your Cota when its all back together.

It took me a couple of months of practice to get back into the swing of things, and the muscles that hadn't been used for 35 years - to recover from the shock.....

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the welcome Dave, what year is your Cota?

Hi, would you be JD Martin who used to ride in the Midland centre in the 60' & 70's.

I did as well till I emigrated to Aus in 1980, back here at the moment and been having a few rides, its strange meeting guys you rode with after 30/40 years, they've all got older !!!!!!!!!

Welcome back, you will enjoy it like I have

Roger Galpin

Hi, would you be JD Martin who used to ride in the Midland centre in the 60' & 70's.

I did as well till I emigrated to Aus in 1980, back here at the moment and been having a few rides, its strange meeting guys you rode with after 30/40 years, they've all got older !!!!!!!!!

Welcome back, you will enjoy it like I have

Roger Galpin

Hi cub200, sorry not the guy that you know, but i was riding trials bikes in the mid 1970's. :)

Thanks for the welcome Dave, what year is your Cota?

Hi john

I have a MK4b about 74 / 75 needed a bit of work on the carb when I got it last year but it's running fine now and done a few twinshock trials, even surprised myself with some good results.

Enjoy yours, half the fun is working on it !

• Like 1

Hello every one...I am looking forward to getting involved in the forum and hope to pick up useful information and tips regarding the bike and getting back to riding trials after a 30 year lay off. :)

Cheers

John.

And your second mistake will be to throw a leg over a new, light weight, fuel injected modern.

It will do you head-in in the nicest possible of ways. After a 30 year hiatus, I THOUGHT a twinshock was what i needed.

So my advice, for what its worth is : 1) Keep the Cota, AND buy a new COTA. No ifs or buts. You need a modern as well.

• Like 1

And your second mistake will be to throw a leg over a new, light weight, fuel injected modern.

It will do you head-in in the nicest possible of ways. After a 30 year hiatus, I THOUGHT a twinshock was what i needed.

So my advice, for what its worth is : 1) Keep the Cota, AND buy a new COTA. No ifs or buts. You need a modern as well.

That will happen i know for a fact. :D

I'll second the the late model Cota experience! My '14 standard and I are getting quite intimate with each other. Throughly enjoy throwing a leg over her!

Mags

Looks like the newer model might have to wait as i have the chance of another 1978 cota 247, will know more by the weekend. ;)