Fork Oil Capacity On 1986 Reflex

awilliams64

I am in the process of changing the fork oil in my newly acquired 1986 reflex. I have the manual for the tlr200 for fork oil capacity but I know those forks are larger. Does anyone know the correct amount of atf to put in the reflex forks. I did not totally dis-assemble them, just pulled the tops off, the springs out and let it drain. Looks like about 4 ounces came out of each fork but I don't know if that was the correct amount to begin with. It looked like it was from 1986....also do the springs go with the tighter winding to the top or bottom. I just noticed that after I am ready to put them back in...

Edited by awilliams64

From my Factory Reflex manual ...

capacity ; 204.5 -209.5 cc or 6.91 - 7.08 US oz. or 7.20-7.37 Imp. oz.

And the small diameter (tapered) end of the spring must face toward the bottom ...

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

From my Factory Reflex manual ...

capacity ; 204.5 -209.5 cc or 6.91 - 7.08 US oz. or 7.20-7.37 Imp. oz.

And the small diameter (tapered) end of the spring must face toward the bottom ...

Glenn

thank you very much, looks like I have another project today. I only put back in what came out and that was only around 4oz, Time to tear it back apart and put in the correct amount. I am sure it will feel better when that is done! also, the tlr200 manual I have says to put the smaller spaced coils towards the top. I don't seem to really have a tapered side to my springs. Are the smaller coils what you are referring to go towards the bottom?

Edited by awilliams64

Best I can do is copy the page for you from a factory 86/87 Honda reflex manual ... I've not had my kids forks apart yet , so I can't vote on what the springs look like !

attachicon.gifIMG_0006.pdf

Have fun ! Sorry it's upside down ... :)

Glenn

hey thanks for that. My springs may have been replaced at one time because they do not look like that. I did put them in the way the tlr manual says with the tighter windings on the top and they seem to be working good. The fluid level definitely was off, so it is right now as well.