Em5.7

heffergm

Anyone ridden one? Pretty pricey where I am but I'm still incredibly intrigued by the lack of noise and basically no maintenance.

My son has an Oset 16 that can move me around with ease so I'm not too concerned about power.

Anyway, really just curious about them now that they've been around for 4 or so years.

I have heard it does not do well in extreme conditions such as rock faces and steep hill climbs. It seems it is more designed for intermediate level riding. Like most things it would be best to give it a try if at all possible before buying but I'm guessing that it would be tough to find somebody local that had one.

I think most of the reluctance to go for it is the price.. The few peeps that I spoke to that do have them loves them . I dont have a EM but I do have a electric trials bike and prefer it over gas everytime more to the fact that its quite, cleaner, cooler, lighter and a massive plus is you can get to ride in much more places than with a gas bike.

I have heard it does not do well in extreme conditions such as rock faces and steep hill climbs. It seems it is more designed for intermediate level riding. Like most things it would be best to give it a try if at all possible before buying but I'm guessing that it would be tough to find somebody local that had one.

EM competes in S2 in the French Championship are leading. S2 is equal to the Canadian Expert Class.

• 2 weeks later...

EM competes in S2 in the French Championship are leading. S2 is equal to the Canadian Expert Class.

Good to know, I wasn't sure what level S2 was. The guys here at the local university built an electric trials bike from an old Honda TLR. I gave it a try and it was a real blast the only thing I didn't like was that it didn't have a clutch I was glad to see the EM does have a clutch as trying to use the throttle to cut power in a split second doesn't compares to being able to pull that clutch lever :).

Electronic clutch on the EM is used for regeneration on the down hills and dumping the clutch with throttle on. You can use it like a mechanical clutch but you soon realize it's not needed for those applications. Riding an electric bike takes about an hour or two to get use to. Then maybe 10 more hours to change your overall style. One change to get use to is there is no flywheel. Therefore when you shut the throttle off it stops, the bike doesn't continue forward with the flywheel effect. You have to think that your flywheel is controlled by your right hand. You soon adjust your riding to compensate for this change. Another change is no motor sound. You soon adjust to know exactly what you need to do with your throttle by feel. cheers

Electronic clutch on the EM is used for regeneration on the down hills and dumping the clutch with throttle on. You can use it like a mechanical clutch but you soon realize it's not needed for those applications. Riding an electric bike takes about an hour or two to get use to. Then maybe 10 more hours to change your overall style. One change to get use to is there is no flywheel. Therefore when you shut the throttle off it stops, the bike doesn't continue forward with the flywheel effect. You have to think that your flywheel is controlled by your right hand. You soon adjust your riding to compensate for this change. Another change is no motor sound. You soon adjust to know exactly what you need to do with your throttle by feel. cheers

And those guys at Montesa recently changed the 4RT so he wouldn't have so much engine braking power. And all that was needed was the pilot to adapt to this. :stupid: Then again, most 4RT riders adapted to the engine brake with no problem. B)

The nice feature with the EM is there are 4 pages of parameters you can change to adjust the bike performance. I don't recommend changing the factory settings but you can play with throttle response, engine braking etc to give the bike the feel you want. I like the EM to have roll similar to a 2t on deceleration, so I adjust the appropriate parameters for that.

• Like 1

I'm the Canadian importer for both EM and Sherco. Just wanted to pass along some facts about EM but not promote or give my impressions. I will always say the EM is an alternative to gas, not a replacement. They are competitive with gas bikes up to expert or S2 level. You can tell the difference of riders who ride an electric bike like a gas bike and those who ride one like an electric bike should be ridden.

- 1.5 hours on the throttle.

- however, I can ride before a trial, then ride the 4 hour trial, then some test rides after the trial and then I will need to charge.

- with the 15 amp charger you can charge from 0 to 80 % in 30 minutes, to 100% in an hour.

- there's no need to purchase an extra battery

- the classic (standard) bike comes with a 10 amp charger, the sport (comp) model comes with a 15 amp charger.

- I order all my bikes with the 15 amp charger, its the only way to go imo.

cheers

The Belgian Maxime Mathy rode an EM today at the European Championship in Bilstain.

To bad I only caught a glimpse of him riding. I didn't hear him coming :ph34r:

He ended up in 5th place in the "Inter" category

Edited by guys
  • Like 1