Em5.7

heffergm

I found this snippet in the manual, which certainly sounds to me as if the clutch operates as a potentiometer of sorts, rather than just an on/off switch:

The ELS system allows you :

• - To cut instantly the power of the motorcycle.

• - To modulate progressively the acceleration of the motorcycle.

• - With the combined effect of the throttle and the ELS lever, to have a very precise action of

throttle, usefull in very slow and winding sections. The effect can be compare to a

mechanical cluch.

• - Like a thermical engine cluch, to have instantly the full power when needed.

A gradual clutch is no different than the throttle on an electric bike. cheers

this will very much depends on the type of controller and also how the clutch integrates with the controller .. So not the same for all electric bikes.

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Here in Australia we have a former Australian Champion riding one and he’s pretty darn impressive on it. He rides expert class on it and eats all but the biggest sections.

He was kind enough to give me a test ride on it last weekend. I was quite impressed with the power but the bike takes some getting used to. As stated above, the clutch is just an on-off switch and best left alone. The regen braking is applied using a button on the left handle bar. Normally there is very little engine braking. Power delivery is smooth but you can’t get that instant zap that you can get with a petrol engine and a clutch. You need to use your body to get up the big stuff (but riding a 300 Gasser makes one lazy so I can’t do it). I must say the power is a lot smoother and more controllable than the little Oset electric bikes.

As for endurance, the owner rides an all day trial (4 laps of 10 sections) and then does a few demos afterwards with about 15-20% power remaining so I think the advertised times are pretty conservative.

Chris

Brisbane Australia.