Em5.7

heffergm

• 5 weeks later...

So I've been studying this for a few days...what is the main drawback? It seems battery life is sufficient....so it must be power. In the videos, the bikes do seem to struggle/"run out of gas" in the big steps and long uphills. It appears to me that when nearing the summit of such struggling accents, the pilot is lightening and hopping the rear wheel to keep it spinning. Thus, is there simply not enough power to keep the rear spinning during these obstacles?

The guy who rides an EM in the national events here in Belgium, said it's only powerful enough to compete in the national level.

For expert level it's lacks power for long climbs and instant full power like when dumping the clutch with full throttle on a gasoline bike.

there are many things that can be done to address these drawbacks with this bike.. it may take a different manufacture to find a better way of doing things, but I'm sure EM is already looking to improve the things that the current model falls short on, I know what I would do to improve it :hyper: .. the technology is already available and it just needs to be implemented in the best way which EM has not found yet.

there are many things that can be done to address these drawbacks with this bike.. it may take a different manufacture to find a better way of doing things, but I'm sure EM is already looking to improve the things that the current model falls short on, I know what I would do to improve it :hyper: .. the technology is already available and it just needs to be implemented in the best way which EM has not found yet.

What model are you referring to, is it the 5.7 or Sport? Which model have you tried? Cheers Edited by borus

I am referring to the one used in the nationals, and I am sure its not a off the self model,, but it is still is lacking ..which some people have commented on , there is so much more that can be done to improve aspects of this bike. Please don't get me wrong I am a big fan of EM as it has opened peoples eyes to the potential. As regards the performance of this bike it will be enough for maybe 80% of club riders ability but its human nature that people always want more. I personally have not rode one of these bikes but I talked to people that have and also studied videos of the bike in action, I have worked on a lot of e-bike projects over the years so have a very clear understanding what can be achieved with current technology. If I had the money I would make a rival bike that would be better in all aspects .

gwhy - Pretty tough to knock something you have never tried yourself. These are pretty unique bikes I would really like to give one a try, I did work with a local university group that built an electric trials bike and it was real blast to ride but I am sure the EM would be completely different again.

My sense is that the EM is more than enough bike for the majority of riders that are below the expert level. Like most things in life some will like it and some will not as it is a very different experience than riding a gas model with a modulating clutch. It really isn't a direct replacement for a gas bike it is a different type of bike altogether and has pros and cons that a rider would need to weigh off for themselves.

• Like 1

I am not knocking it, but it can be improved upon. I have ridden electric trials bikes ( more than a few) but not the em.. I have a electric trials that I have had nearly 3 years of my own . I totally agree riding electric is different to gas but that don't mean you have to compromise on function.

Edit: why can't it be a replacement for a gas bike that don't have to have a massive range per charge ?

Edited by gwhy

without going into to much detail as they have there own R&D department .. the obvious ones are weight and power.. Now I don't know exactly what power the bike used in the nationals is putting out or what the top speed is geared for but I can have a educated guess looking at the motor they are using and i think i know what controller they are using, the weight of the EM is in there spec sheet so that's a easy one and I know both these can be better. there are also other improvements that can be made but I'm sure they have these in hand :thumbup:

Not sure there is much more to say here from me other than try and get a test ride, preferably a sport model with the competition battery which is 2.5 kg lighter than the standard battery. cheers.

I would love to get a test ride on one as I'm sure it will be more than capable than I am, but even with a sport model I know it will be heavier, have a taller seat height, more weight towards the top of the bike and have less power than my current bike. But it do still look nice and it do work, which have been proved.

I wonder what they mean limited to 55k as it will all depend on gearing and the bike will not know what the gearing is, unless they mean thats the max speed that can be achieved with the tallest gearing that can be fitted on the bike . Has anyone actually measure the top speed on a standard EM ?