280Cc Vs 300Cc?

sawtooth

Can anyone comment on how the two engines differ with regard to riding? Currently on the hunt for a 2011 280 (as I currently already have a 280 and get on well with the engine) but can't seem to find many for sale. However I do keep seeing the odd 300cc for sale so wondering if I should get one? If the power delivery and overall weight of the bike is similar to the 280 then i'd be happy, but I'd rather not get one if its going to be a different beast to the 280.

From what I've read here the 300 has got a lot of bottom power, or grunt, but isn't as snappy as the 280. In other words the 300 has more controllable power.

I've got a 280 with a slow throttle and a low compr. head and i.m.o. also lots of controllable power and grunt.

From what I've read here the 300 has got a lot of bottom power, or grunt, but isn't as snappy as the 280. In other words the 300 has more controllable power.

I've got a 280 with a slow throttle and a low compr. head and i.m.o. also lots of controllable power and grunt.

Well thats confused me even more then cause I ride a 280 with quick throttle and like the power delivery/snappyness.

I will never go back to the 280. On a hill you twist the throttle and the 280 or 250 make noise. The 300 says something but before your brain can process it you are left with arms pulled out of their socket. I am a lazy rider. I forget to twist the throttle until its too late. The 300 fixes all of that for me. If you have an opportunity ride one for a day do it.

--biff

Edited by biffsgasgas

I've had a 2006 and 2010 300 both had too much for me. I dont understand the view that the 300 is easier to ride its just too much power, ok for better riders. However im currently riding my fourth 280, I always fit a flywheel weight but its my favourite gas gas engine.

If I see a 300 local ish I'll go have a look. Hard to tell where I fit in really, currently ride a 280cc with no flywheel weight and a quick throttle and I find it fine.

Unless of course mines not actually a 280, am only assuming as it has 280 written on the air filter cover, any other way to tell?