Sherpa 350 (159) Air Filter Box

steviebulto67

Thanks very much Bondy. Yes that's the exact air filter box I have. Unfortunately I cant take a picture of my filter box as its away getting painted. My frame is just back it was away getting powder coated , I'll post a picture of the frame tomorrow. Is it a 159 you have.

Regards

Stevie

hello no all my bikes are the later modals. but i have a 198A frame that am going to restore and have it the same colour has the 159 i had to chop the side panel lugs off to get the 159 box to fit. i myself need to alloy spacers making for mine. the 2 small bars with the hole in the center is your fixing point. when you get your Air box back offer it up you will need to get the size from Air box to the bar on the frame the rear 1 will be longer than the front. you should be able to make them your self just buy some alloy bar off ebay. once you have the correct size drill a M6 hole throw the center mine has no holes in the top off the box so i will have to drill 2 holes. you may already have them? i would wait until you have put the engine in with the exhaust on before mounting the Air box. just to make sure it dose not touch the exhaust. i just bought some nylon bar and made some steerin stops i needed them a few mm longer for the new alloy tank i got from inmotion just cut to size drilled a hole in the center rounded them off on 1 side sorted workes a treat. :D

Thanks very much Bondy. The new alloy tank you've got sounds good. When I bought my bike I got two tanks with it both alloy. one was a slim tank and the other wider. I've got the slim tank away just now with the air filter box getting stripped and painted. My slim tank was a bit bashed and had a hole at the front of it but the coachbuilder has said he'll take all that out and it will look like new. Fingers crossed. Can you recommend anywhere for wheel restoration.

Stevie

for the wheels i used a local wheel builder in merseyside first i sent the rear hub off to be relined then bout a new rear rim front was good then he got me the spokes £52 a set then he charged me £50 a wheel for rebuild top job oh and he painted the hubs black. i was going to use central wheels in birmingham but found this place save on postage. if you have the proper set up it's not that hard to do i use to do push bike wheels back in the early 80s if your handy you could but if you want it spot on stright better letting a proper wheel builder do it don't cut the old spokes out untill you have the offset are better still take the full wheels to a local builder if poss.

no it did't take that long probley a few months but to be honest id already restored it once. and wasn't happy with it so i strip it back down and started again most off the jobs had already been done what takes time like the wheels ect ect. ive only done a hand full off these in the last 5 years but this 1 is the best so fare. i won't be doing my other 1 for some time.

it is a nice feeling when it's all done. i want to srt the other but other things have to come first. i have sort of started the other project had new bushes pressed in the S/Arm moden foot peg hangers welded on the wrong way not by me i must add. i will have to have um done again

depends what needs doing to the engine i spend about £500 on parts just for the engine all new bearings and seals new con rod kit new piston rebore. con rod pressed in. not cheap but well worth the effort. i had the engin vapor blasted also.