Sherpa 350 (159) Air Filter Box

steviebulto67

I've stripped the engine out and its pretty done looking. I'll do bits of it but I think i'll get most of it done professionally. The cylinder head has a broken fin on it so i'll need to get that fixed or replaced as it looks naff. I think the vapour blasting sounds a good idea. I'm tempted to buy a small soda blaster those things look handy.

you should be able to pick another cylinder up cheap. but if you have the broken bit or you could have a peice made the same shape and alloy welded on is it a fin on the outer edge? it won't make the engine run any hotter but i know you want it to look good. a friend i know rebuild the bottom end off mine i just did the rest. i can rebuild them i was just not sure about the crank am ok with the gearsall that stuff is easy but he did a top job he has been building them for years tho. so he knows he's stuff. am ok with most stuff but if am not sure better to get some 1 to do it for you works out cheaper in the long run if you bodge it only ends up costing more.

Edited by bondy

Its on the outer edge so could probably be fixed quite easily. The bike only cost me £280 about a year and a half ago and its got matching frame and engine numbers which is a big plus. But I've now got a bit of time to do it so i'm keen to get cracked on with it.

that was a good price mate. you can clean the engine yourself but it's a pain vapor blast is a nice smooth finish and even if you paint over it the finish is nice. but i kept the 2 crank halfs alloy the head alloy i just sprayed the barrel with pj1 satin matt black then buff the finns back to alloy. whatever you do don't have it sand blasted i had a barrel done once it destroyed the threads so much i had to have um all re taped sand blasting is ok for steel like the frame not for alloy it's to harsh.

Edited by bondy

It certainly looks good on your bike. I've done a Yamaha TY before which was nice and I've also got an old Yamaha RD 125 DX twin which is in the shed needing restored, but i'm really up for the Sherpa being minted. I just love the look of these bikes I could spend all day pottering around with it. I've run the idea of the Sherpa when its finished staying in my lounge as I want to keep it minted. I think the wife thinks i'm mental.

join the club mate they don't get it do they. no but if it was a top hand bag or shoes they would. it took a coupel off gose the get the barrel looking good it;s not hard i did mine before i had the rebore done. but you can just tape the ends up stops any crap getting into the barrel or blow out with Air line

Edited by bondy

hi scot your a world away from were i got them done but if your in the uk i got them done by a nice man in birmingham uk. i had 3 x rear hubs done ive been lucky with the front pefect chrome. still not the best brakes but for what i use the bikes for there good enough. :D