Another Reflex Question...

awilliams64

Crankcase breather/oil separator ... Surprised it's still there !?! Take it off and plumb to the airbox for safety and deep water crossings or just stuff the tube under the swingarm shaft like someone did to my kids reflex ... I never even noticed it before ! And the shop manual shows it , but never really explains it !. emission controls ...

Glenn

ahh emissions, I am sure I can definitely do with out it the. Its kind of cool that I am coming across some of these older bikes. I just bought a 1974 ty 250 "cat" today. Kept if for less than an hour and one of my friends bought it, but its still cool to find these bikes and save them from some kid abusing them as a moto crosser

If the breather is clean inside and flows well it's actually beneficial,it will catch the oil in the vapor and return it to the crankcase,only penalty is the weight. The type of emissions it reduces does not impact performance.That said,it's probably more important if being used on the road,plus,it's ugly.Do the footpeg mod,Put some trials tires on that thing and ride it ;-)

Vintage Cup next year!!!

Edited by htrdoug
  • Like 1

Sold a trials bike and kept a trail bike?

yeah, I have enough bikes for now, the ty250 was just a fluke coming across it and it was a good deal. I put it in the hands of a guy that does a lot of work on the ty's. He will find a good home for it.

• 5 weeks later...

The breather / oil separator was required on bikes registered in California ( and maybe other states). It does not affect the running of the bike. The only caution I have is that in some states (CA and AZ, I know), for road registered vehicles all the emission control pieces must be in place to pass emission tests.

If you don't need to pass emission tests, you can remove it but you still need a crankcase breather.

If you don't need to pass emission tests, you can remove it but you still need a crankcase breather.

A little K&N crankcase filter helps to keep dirt and water out of the motor.

Just put it in the airbox:

KNFilter_for_TLR31600x1200.jpg

and together with K&N air filter:

KNFilter_for_TLR51600x1200.jpg

Edited by rollox