Best Electronic Ignition System For A '79 199A?

mike350

Hi All,

Just reporting progress so far having fitted the Inmotion electronic ignition system. Fitting could not be more simple, the hardest bit is routing all the wires under the tank in a neat and tidy way.

The bike starts instantly and runs beautifully.

The only thing that I'm not 100% about is the single wire looking exposed and vulnerable where it comes out of the case and up the front frame. I want to find a way to improve the run. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Mike

Thanks

Please post your impression of the riding differences between old and new.

My 199A starts and idles with half a stroke on the kicker, with stock ignition and carb. I'd really like to know if the ignition advance will let the engine rev noticeably higher.

Thanks

Please post your impression of the riding differences between old and new.

My 199A starts and idles with half a stroke on the kicker, with stock ignition and carb. I'd really like to know if the ignition advance will let the engine rev noticeably higher.

I doubt it, for that you need variable ignition timing and I don't think these simple electronic ignitions have that.

Hi Motiva,

It's hard to say what the difference is without having run it properly at a trial. I can't get close to high revs in the garden space available, so I will let you know after the next outing which is 28th September.

The system does have an auto advance curve.

What I would say is that my points system had been set up by a real pro,(recommended by Inmotion). In fact he rebuilt my entire engine with as many new parts as I could find. It runs about as well as a 325 Sherpa is ever going to run. The rebuild included a new piston and rebore, so it's probably still running in having only done a single trial. Therefore I didn't swap to digital ignition with a great expectation of improved performance but longer term reliability and continued easy starting. Years ago I cut my teeth riding a Sherpa and I have fond memories of difficult starting, vicious kicking back and even reverse running on one occasion. I loved that bike but it always needed to go electric. I think that if you can, you should.

Mike

There is no real need for an electronic ignition as long as your standard point system is adjusted well and all components are working as they should, the engine of the Sherpa will run in trials mostly in low to mid revs, if it would be a Frontera (Bultaco Enduro model) something much different, there you really use the full powerband frequently also if you are a very good and serious rider you might too need the electronic system. But then all other components should also be fresh like new so that you will find out a real benefit.

Points and condensers are relatively cheap against the electronic system, if you are not on the lazy side and do frequently maintaince the points system works quite well and the saved money can be instead invested in more important tweaks like suspension, carb or clutch, ...

Just my 0,02€ opinion ...

• Like 2

There is no real need for an electronic ignition as long as your standard point system is adjusted well and all components are working as they should, the engine of the Sherpa will run in trials mostly in low to mid revs, if it would be a Frontera (Bultaco Enduro model) something much different, there you really use the full powerband frequently also if you are a very good and serious rider you might too need the electronic system. But then all other components should also be fresh like new so that you will find out a real benefit.

Points and condensers are relatively cheap against the electronic system, if you are not on the lazy side and do frequently maintaince the points system works quite well and the saved money can be instead invested in more important tweaks like suspension, carb or clutch, ...

Just my 0,02€ opinion ...

Hi, All of the above is of course completely fair comment. A well set conventional ignition system is perfect, on the day.

But my other bike is a Beamish Suzuki which I have owned for 34 years. It had electronic ignition as standard and consequently has always run perfectly. I'd like to think that the guys at Bultaco would have approved the upgrade, if they'd had the option.

By the way, the Bultaco is the better trials bike - by a mile...

• Like 3

I sold my Bultaco 1978 250 (198 ) and got a Beamish Suzuki it took some getting use to, there was a lot to like about the Beamish but i really missed my Bultaco it just went were i pointed it and the power was just right all the time and so stable in the sections, much more fun to ride. if you could let us know how you get on with your new Inmotion electronic ignition system that would be great.

Edited by bultacorock

the real reason i wanted to fit 1 is iv'e never set the points or timing on a bultaco. altho i think would have no trouble doing it with abit off help. seeing as the timing and points are set up really good at the moment i will for now leave them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just fitted on a 199A the In Motion system with lights, easy to fit and well made. The coil and ignition box are small enough to fit behind the headstock in between the bracing plates, no adjustment to the timing is needed (you can't adjust it anyway, there are no slots in the new stator plate). Bike does feel more responsive, I had the Femsa points spot on so I'm not comparing badly set up points with the new system.

Only time will tell if it lasts, a weird thing is the lights don't get brighter and dimmer as you rev the bike, never seen that with direct lighting before and they are quite bright, never seen that befor either !

• Like 3

hello you can ajust the electric ignition on the plate in the middle but you shouldn't have to. i have a brand new 1 still in the box have not fitted it as the points and timing are set up good so i will leave it for now. but i have had 1 before. some like them other don't. ill be honest with you as i said above iv'e never set the timing or points. would like to learn not saying i can;t do it just never had to yet.

Edited by bondy