Show Us Your Ty

power175

I can answer that one b40rt. Wiseco pistons expand more with temperature rise than original Yamaha pistons. The extra heat created while new rings bed into a fresh bore can take the piston temperature (size) to the point of being at risk of piston-to-bore seizure, more so than with the lower expansion rate Yamaha piston.

Of course as well as the way the break-in is done, the risk of piston/bore seizure also depends on what clearance the rebore was done to.

• Like 1

Right on with the details David. When I have a rebore done on one of my TY with Yamaha piston , I usually ask for a .002 inch clearance and I do the running in over 2 days : first morning, start and run for about 30 sec, and in the afternoon, start and run until I can feel the heat  on the cyl., let it cool and repeat. The next day I repeat but i run it longer. I know it's over over  overkill but I had one done ever 10 years ago that has not started to rattle yet.

Guy

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

post-4214-0-32890200-1478376806_thumb.jpgpost-4214-0-32890200-1478376806_thumb.jpgHere is a photo of the next project when I finally get round to

building it as it has Been under my bench for a few years now. Its got the shortened inlet mod and a new pink mudguard which I purchased from Ctc.

• Like 1

my 1977 ty250. I am pulling it apart to refresh it.

That's in way better nick than my current old nail of a TY, but it still goes so well I can't be bothered to do anything to smarten it up.It was out today on firewood duties,being thrashed around in the mud by my son.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• 7 months later...

• 4 months later...

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...