My First Trial On Sunday!

ben888

Ive spoken to the really helpful club chairman of my local club, Yeo Vale MCC today. I've got my first ever trial coming up this Sunday 7th! wish me luck!!

what techniques should I work on before then? Also, any tips on bike preparation, stuff worth taking with me etc. to make my day run as smoothly as possible??

make a list , a pump can be handy , some grub and juice as you can get quite hungry , dont expect to win it, basic tools , wd40 spare levers maybe , ,, always walk sections be sure how many laps and sections , find out which flags you follow always confirm beginning and end flags , good rear tyre if likely to be slipy work on balance tight turns whilst slipping clutch with rear brake on ,dont forget not to stop and one dab is better than a five

From your vids your techniques ok.

As it's your first trial, arrive as early as possible, walk the course, tag along with other riders and get their views on the line to take.

When the trial starts watch a couple of riders through each section to back up your idea on the line to take. Don't worry if you don't finish your first trial through running out of time / energy , most of us never did!!!

Take plenty to drink , and a bite to eat - you will need them both. And also take a towel along coz you will sweat buckets.....

Good luck, it's great fun.

just chill and enjoy! balance, full lock turns and clutch slipping are the three basics but you can just pass on any sections you don't feel up to tackling.

we've got a few check lists and preparing for a competition articles on our website here. put some tools together if you have the time but everyone will be very supportive for the new guy and will help out if you hit any snags. you'll have a great time!

I didn't even get through half the sections on my first earlier this year! Didn't matter... I had a ball and got even further addicted to riding the trials bike.

Take a small digital camera if you can? Nice to have a few shots of your first ever one in years to come.

Enjoy the day!

Mags

• Like 1

May be handy to read through the rule book... don't be afraid to ask questions. Take your time walking the sections and ask questions as you go. I know generally people (especially guys) don't like asking questions/directions but it really does help to really know where to go before you try a section. As mentioned try to join up with a few other riders so they can show you the ropes.

One thing that shouldn't be too hard to remember is to keep smiling it is all just for fun. Even if you do something stupid just have a good laugh and keep on going don't take it too seriously. I usually plan out each section before I ride it... carefully figure out each turn and line, I really get a bit stressed sitting at the start gate and usually takes me a bit to ease out the clutch and head into the section, then I typically get off track the first couple of seconds in and then just wing it and hope for the best :hyper::hyper::hyper: :hyper: .

Hope you have an awesome event - Can't wait to hear how it goes !!!

• Like 1

Bring a spare sparkplug and wrench , along with whatever tools you feel comfortable using in the woods ...know the limits of what you can fix in the field. You most likely will get assigned to a more experienced competitor for the day to show you the ropes . ASK QUESTIONS !!! every one who can , will help . Stay Hydrated !!! You'll be surprised at what you can do . And as above , a planned dab is better than a five . And Relax and have fun ! The nerves will relax faster than you think :)And don't forget to BREATHE !!! And remember there is not a 12 step program to cure this addiction !!!

Good Luck and have fun .

Glenn

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for all the really useful tips, there's a lot here I wouldn't have thought of.

Zerorev3rev4, what's the bit about not stopping? Is that feet up or down? I'm probably wrong but I thought riders stopped, balancing on the pegs while preparing for the next obstacle..? Do I have to keep moving slightly? What's the penalty?

pro sport, thanks for the towel tip, even 15 minutes doing figure 8s in the garden feels like I've been for a run!

Sherconoob, I've been practicing clutch slipping, is is better to be in 2nd gear with more revs and more slip to keep it smooth at low speed, rather than 1st? The info and check lists on your site are great and very helpful. I'm ok with the tools and field fixing, I was a mechanic for 22 years before a recent career change.. I think it's the mechanic in me that feels bad doing all that clutch slipping, not something I had to do much of with faster bike riding.

Mags, thanks for the encouragement, I'll be sure to take the GoPro camera so I can see (the many) places where I go wrong! :)

Michael_t and Axulsuv, I'll be sure to be asking lots of questions, hopefully someone experienced will take me under their wing and explain the flags, rules, advise me on route choice and tell me when it's my turn to go and where to go next! All this is the scary part as I've never been to watch a trial, let alone have a go! I'm sure I'll learn lots and have a good laugh at myself too!! :)

Ben,

Just go out with only the goals of having fun, and learning. You'll accomplish more with those things in mind than anything else. I think you'll do well.

As for spare parts, I personally seem to have gone through shift levers more than anything else. I think I personally am keeping the aftermarket shift lever manufacturers in business. Clutch & front brake levers would be next. Look at the sizes of the fasteners required to swap these parts, and bring the necessary tools. Chain oil is something good to have along also.

Listen to the advice above, & you'll be doin' more of these events in the future.

Jimmie

Zerorev3rev4, what's the bit about not stopping? Is that feet up or down? I'm probably wrong but I thought riders stopped, balancing on the pegs while preparing for the next obstacle..? Do I have to keep moving slightly? What's the penalty?

Sherconoob, I've been practicing clutch slipping, is is better to be in 2nd gear with more revs and more slip to keep it smooth at low speed, rather than 1st? The info and check lists on your site are great and very helpful. I'm ok with the tools and field fixing, I was a mechanic for 22 years before a recent career change.. I think it's the mechanic in me that feels bad doing all that clutch slipping, not something I had to do much of with faster bike riding.

Michael_t and Axulsuv, I'll be sure to be asking lots of questions, hopefully someone experienced will take me under their wing and explain the flags, rules, advise me on route choice and tell me when it's my turn to go and where to go next! All this is the scary part as I've never been to watch a trial, let alone have a go! I'm sure I'll learn lots and have a good laugh at myself too!! :)

i'm sure you'll be paired up with someone who will be very happy to show you the ropes for the day. this is very standard so if it doesn't happen they are probably just busy and forgot... in which case i'd just ask them if you could be paired up with another rider. believe me you won't be putting anyone out. trials riders LOVE giving advice and they'll probably be queuing up to have a captive audience for a whole day to throw advice at, whether it's balancing, cornering, cooking, card games, hehe!

re: the clutch, i had exactly the same issue... mechanical empathy i call it. :-) experienced riders are forever slipping their clutches but they still last for ages. i the early stages though it's up to you. it might just be better to stay in first gear and not worry about the clutch too much so you can focus on balance and turning. as mentioned the main thing is have fun and enjoy yourself! i'm guilty of often trying to learn too many things at once and getting frustrated instead of enjoying my addiction.

• Like 2

Thanks Jimmie, I'll have to build up some spares for my coming trials, funds and time mean I'm going to have to wing it with tools and spare plugs for this one and keep my fingers crossed! :)

I went through the bike today, checked everything for tightness, made up a bush for the rear brake pedal as it's not available off the shelf :( And wrapped some ptfe tape under my lever perches, hopefully they'll rotate rather than break now. Oh, and moved them inboard a good deal (good tip there Sherconoob)

Really looking forward to Sunday, it's going to be a lot of fun. I've been watching YouTube clips every moment I get and riding in the garden every day this week!

I'll be sure to write up an account of my first trial experience once I recover!